Climbing Icebergs - Video

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
wargowsky

Climbing Icebergs - Video

by wargowsky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I've used this site for years, and have really enjoyed the knowledge and entertainment that the trips reports have provided. I'm happy to say that, after all this time, I can finally give something back! Here's a link to a trip report/video the I put together about some climbing that my friends and I did in Newfoundland. We climbed icebergs in the Atlantic Ocean and did some first ascents on rock along the western coast.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Will ... 0326527336

The video is titled "Ice Vikings" and is the 3rd video form the top. If you enjoy it please feel free to share the link to the film competition. If want to vote for my film just click to "like" button under my video on the film comp page. Thanks for your help and I hope you enjoy the video!!

no avatar
wargowsky

Re: Climbing Icebergs - Video

by wargowsky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Would really love some feedback on this. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks everyone!

Hotoven

Re: First Ascents on Icebergs and Rock

by Hotoven » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Interesting video.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:31 pm

An impressive venture, bold, unconventional with some likeable characters. Certainly engaging, not too long and well edited (to me at least). I thought it interesting how early on there's a mention of how you guys operate as weekend warriors and that there's no coverage of what you do etc. But is there not a sense of irony in that given you've made a film, entered it into a festival and are promoting it on other sites? That's not a criticism, just an observation.

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
wargowsky

no avatar
wargowsky

by wargowsky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Baarb, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the "weekend warrior" thing, when each of the characters are introduced, the caption has their name and job title. Do you think that's enough or would you like to see actual footage of them doing their job. I considered this, but thought it would detract for the story. What do you think?

No criticism taken :) I'm not a big fan of the whole self promotion thing either. When we started working on the iceberg climbing idea 7 or 8 years ago we thought it would be amazing to see our climbs in a movie at the Banff Film Festival. We tried to get someone else to film and edit for us, but it didn't really work out, so I've just been editing this together in my spare time (i really don't have a clue what i'm doing). Thought i'd put it in a couple film fests to see what kind of reaction i got before i throw down $ to submit it to Banff.

thanks again for your input! let me know if you have any other ideas!

dyusem

by dyusem » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

wargowsky wrote:Baarb, thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the "weekend warrior" thing, when each of the characters are introduced, the caption has their name and job title. Do you think that's enough or would you like to see actual footage of them doing their job. I considered this, but thought it would detract for the story. What do you think?

No criticism taken :) I'm not a big fan of the whole self promotion thing either. When we started working on the iceberg climbing idea 7 or 8 years ago we thought it would be amazing to see our climbs in a movie at the Banff Film Festival. We tried to get someone else to film and edit for us, but it didn't really work out, so I've just been editing this together in my spare time (i really don't have a clue what i'm doing). Thought i'd put it in a couple film fests to see what kind of reaction i got before i throw down $ to submit it to Banff.

thanks again for your input! let me know if you have any other ideas!

Very nIce work!!!

I've attended many of the recent Banff roadshows and your film would easily be considered to be of the same quality for subject matter as well as production. I'm not sure that further introducing the team's day jobs is necessary but if you can integrate more of the local Newfoundland flavor into the story, that may be of interest as those are some hardy folks and they were fundamental to the adventure's success.

The following user would like to thank dyusem for this post
wargowsky

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Will Gadd is in this video which was in National Geographic. I dont know if this was included in the first post
The adverisement comes first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00WVMXr2lcs

no avatar
wargowsky

by wargowsky » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks dyusem! I agree about using more footage of the locals. Unfortunately, I used almost every bit of usable footage that I had. I LOVE the people in Newfoundland. They're the nicest people you will ever meet, but they really don't like being on camera. It wasn't until the very last day the 2nd year that we were up there that the local fisherman let us actually interview him on camera. If we go back up, I hope to get some more/better footage.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially regarding Banff. I hope it works out!

dyusem

by dyusem » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 am

wargowsky wrote:Thanks dyusem! I agree about using more footage of the locals. Unfortunately, I used almost every bit of usable footage that I had. I LOVE the people in Newfoundland. They're the nicest people you will ever meet, but they really don't like being on camera. It wasn't until the very last day the 2nd year that we were up there that the local fisherman let us actually interview him on camera. If we go back up, I hope to get some more/better footage.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially regarding Banff. I hope it works out!

"If we go back"?!?!?! I thought that you guys were through with that type of adventure!?!?!? :?

Enter the film at Banff...you will do well!!!

no avatar
wargowsky

by wargowsky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:17 pm

If we go back"?!?!?! I thought that you guys were through with that type of adventure!?!?!? :?

Enter the film at Banff...you will do well!!!

I thought i was, at the time. we'll see. i'll definitely go back to see friends and do some "normal" winter ice climbing. Don't know about the icebergs again. I know that i shouldn't, be they're so much fun!

Thanks again for the feedback. The response to the video has been very positive overall. I think we'll give Banff a shot.

no avatar
sierra100

by sierra100 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:11 am

very cool.

no avatar
obelixk

by obelixk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Look like this "sport" is becoming more popular.
Another icebergs climbing example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gfc_Mw6j44

DK

by DK » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 am

Hey, that is an awesome video! I hope you win some prizes! Have you thought of entering it in the Banff Mountain Film competition?

Do you guys climb in the Whites? Daks? Catskills (NY)?

no avatar
wargowsky

by wargowsky » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 am

DK: Thanks DK! the video is doing well so far. It won the Fernie Film Fest in Scottland and the Fort William Film fest in Canada. I plan of submit it to Banff, and REALLY hope that it gets in. Seeing it play at Banff would be a dream come true. We climb all over. Mostly east coast, Whites, Daks, Catskills, etc. I spent the winter in Colorado, but most of the team still lives/climbs in the east. I heard the ice climbing up there wasn't very good this season though.

Obelixk: Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that yet. Looks like that guy got worked! I certainly wouldn't want to try getting on a berg that way. Seems like you'd take a beating. Crazy.

no avatar
obelixk

by obelixk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Return to General