Jaws Falls RMNP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
CSUMarmot

Jaws Falls RMNP

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 am

It seems like I've asked this before, but can anyone give me a description/topo drawing/coordinates of where Jaws Falls is? I just now got around to finding Hidden Falls, but I have a feeling this one's harder to locate. I've also heard it doesnt always form during the winter, so does anyone know if it's in now?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

JonW

Re: Jaws Falls RMNP

by JonW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't have first hand knowledge, but it seems that it's been too warm to form. See Eli's post on page 13 of the CO Ice Conditions thread on MP: http://mountainproject.com/v/the-2011-12-colorado-ice-conditions-thread/107318739__13

The following user would like to thank JonW for this post
CSUMarmot

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I haven't been up that way lately, but with the sun and wind this winter it's doubtful that it's in. It may be partially formed but the ice on the left side will be very thin if it's there at all.

As far as finding it, drive up the Moraine Park road as far as you can, then hike up the road. It's just off the road/trail on the right. Can't miss it.
Even if there's as little ice as everyone's saying, there'll be enough to spot it. Since it's just off the road, you don't need to look through spaces in the trees across the valley like you do finding Hidden Falls. spitting distance.

The following user would like to thank mtnjim for this post
CSUMarmot

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

mtnjim wrote:I haven't been up that way lately, but with the sun and wind this winter it's doubtful that it's in. It may be partially formed but the ice on the left side will be very thin if it's there at all.

As far as finding it, drive up the Moraine Park road as far as you can, then hike up the road. It's just off the road/trail on the right. Can't miss it.
Even if there's as little ice as everyone's saying, there'll be enough to spot it. Since it's just off the road, you don't need to look through spaces in the trees across the valley like you do finding Hidden Falls. spitting distance.

Any idea of the mileage from the TH(not the winter lot)? I'm assuming its about a half mile or so before Arch Rocks
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Return to Colorado