Lone Wolf Enters California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mountainsandsound

Re: Lone Wolf Enters California

by mountainsandsound » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:49 pm

jharrwyo wrote:Good it's about time the people who have put the most money and effort into the reintroduction efforts finally get to deal with this pain in the ass. Congratulations and make sure your dogs and cats are inside at night.

Californians put the most effort into reintroduction? If you were really worried about dogs and cats they would already be inside because raccoons, coyotes, bears, and mountain lions do far more damage than wolves. Just one more myth that needs to be dispelled.

peninsula

by peninsula » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:30 pm

jharrwyo wrote:Good it's about time the people who have put the most money and effort into the reintroduction efforts finally get to deal with this pain in the ass. Congratulations and make sure your dogs and cats are inside at night.

Cats should not be allowed outdoors, period! http://veggierevolution.blogspot.com/20 ... ecies.html

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:34 am

In my neighborhood, dogs and cats are ALWAYS coming up missing. People don't realize that coyotes regularly visit people's backyards during the night.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

colinr

by colinr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:05 am

Yep, a lot of critters will feast on the kitties. Owls will get' em too; and yes, some of the cats that are good at avoiding becoming a meal are quite the terror for other critters in their territory. I've got one that used to eat large ground squirrels that he'd bring onto my kitchen floor through the dog door (useful on a ranch). He appreciates all kinds of rodents, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, but he's now an older, suburban cat, contained by a dog & cat proof fence. Despite that, when my brother and I were teasing him about not hunting anymore, within a few minutes he brought in a baby bird and ate it in front of us. He followed that up with another baby bird and then the mother.

As for the wolf, he's been staying put a lot latley, messing up our predictions. Maybe he's been busy eating some lost hippies. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk[/youtube]

SeanReedy wrote:As of January 11, he was north of Eagle Lake heading toward 395 and the Warner Mountains. If he turned north, he's nearing Alturas. Any wagers on whether or not he stays west of the Warner Mountains? What about the date he leaves California? I'd be excited to see him head south or west again, but I'll take a guess--January 18.

mountainsandsound wrote:I spent the first few years of my life in Shasta county, still have family there. That wolf definitely picked a great place to hang out. If I were him I'd stay, but I bet he'll be out of CA by January 21st, and head back up to Oregon and maybe start a new pack.

I'm now rooting for him to be out of California by February 1st; that guy needs to find a mate to bring back and start a pack ya know. Any other guesses?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm

peninsula wrote:Cats should not be allowed outdoors, period!

Concur.

Lost three of ours over a period of two years to one of these guys.....

As far as the wolf goes, just as the wolverine and my sightings and scat finding confirmations, we can't say for certain that he is the only one in the state. My good animal biologist buddy at the local CF&G reassured me that regarding both the wolverine and Sierra Bighorn. According to him, there is still much territory that his team has yet to spend long periods of time investigating and researching. He shared with me how last year alone he was tracking a pair of cougars in the Whites when he came upon a pair of big grey dogs which at first he thought were coyotes but he questioned their size and behavior. Twice the normal size of a coyote and their escape run looked just like that of a wolf. How does he know, he spent five years in Alaska with a research team from the USF&G that was studying the local Anchorage wolf hunting practice. He came to know the Alaskan wolf quiet intimately.

He is going back up to that area this Spring to see if he can find em and photograph them. He doubts he will encounter em again because just as the wolverine, they cover a vast area of territory and can be very illusive.

Over and out....

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Chief, I knew you wouldn't stay away!

colinr

by colinr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 am

Gotta love Hollywood! Rabid enviromentalists attacking oil drilling in the Arctic..., but this time the oil riggers are survivalist heroes using awesome rope skills, and improvised wolverine-man weapons, to escape from the most dangerous animals in Alaska!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWF4cepn8U[/youtube]

If he didn't appreciate animals and authenticity so much, I'd suspect The Chief had something to do with this; he's always reminded me a bit of a wolverine. :P

colinr

by colinr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:34 am

So, the wolf was hanging out at the very south end of the Warner Mountains for awhile (among some other wanderings). Sounds like he is getting closer to the area between the Pit River and Lassen NP again, heading toward Hat Creek and the Thousand Lakes Wilderness.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6oezwbgVA[/youtube]

colinr

by colinr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:31 am

peninsula wrote:
Leo Bergeron, president of the Siskiyou County Water Users Association, urged the county to pass a local law banning wolves from entering the state that would include county officials killing or relocating the animals...Members of the board said they were worried about the threat to ranchers' stock as well as to struggling elk and deer herds. They also expressed worries the federally protected species would mean even more land-use restrictions in an area already coping with limits on agriculture because of threatened coho salmon and still reeling from restrictions on logging because of the spotted owl. "Siskiyou County is inundated with endangered species," Supervisor Michael Kobseff said.

One would think the likes of a Leo Bergeron or Michael Kobseff would better appreciate the forces behind Siskiyou County's endangered species inundation.

Wally Herger, a long-time party line Congressional representative, who is retiring after a quarter century, set the record straight for citizens concerned about management of land, water, and wildlife in the State of Jefferson recently:

Wally Herger wrote:I have no doubt that the UN will continue to produce nonbinding "agendas" (Agenda 21) that range from merely silly to genuinely alarming. Fortunately, we remain a sovereign nation and we can simply ignore these UN agenda items. When it comes to environmental regulation, our real concern is with current federal laws, such as the Endangered Species Act, that are grossly imbalanced and have been repeatedly invoked to hammer our economy. If we truly want to make a difference in our local economy, we need to focus our time and attention on reforming our own laws and regulations. The current dispute over the Klamath dams has everything to do with United States law, and nothing to do with the United Nations. We are free to ignore nonbinding philosophical statements from the United Nations. We have learned the hard way that we cannot ignore the Endangered Species Act.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 am

seanreedy wrote:I'm now rooting for him to be out of California by February 1st; that guy needs to find a mate to bring back and start a pack ya know. Any other guesses?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GX8UalMq8k [/youtube]
???

…Maybe he’s enjoying the mild winter, wonder if he’ll stick around hunting into the spring; he spent some time in the area between Lassen Peak and Eagle Lake, getting within 5 miles of the Caribou Wilderness.

Folks from the Nevada Department of Wildlife and the newspaper in Bend, OR made the available connection between one of the wolf’s hangouts and Burning Man; the last confirmed wolf sighting in Nevada dates back about 80 years.

article wrote:"That would have been so much karma and harmonic convergence had he made it there," he said. "But he's got to make a living, and the farther east you go, the more inhospitable the country is for wolves."

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/jan/29/wolf-heads-back-west/

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I guess he wasn't feeling Burning Man, maybe the site still smells from last year. Looks like he's pretty set on Lassen County, the fish and game tracker shows him posted up there for a while. I wonder what he's eating? Without the pack he can't eat elk, and maybe not deer. Probably a variety of smaller vermin. Maybe he'll be around when I come down in June to see the fam and climb Shasta... but I kinda hope he finds a mate before then. I have a dream of seeing wolves in the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone NP someday, but if I could see some in Lassen Volcanic NP, that would be epic.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 am

peninsula wrote:One would think the likes of a Leo Bergeron or Michael Kobseff would better appreciate the forces behind Siskiyou County's endangered species inundation.

mountainsandsound wrote:
"Siskiyou County is inundated with endangered species," Supervisor Michael Kobseff said.

Such a terrible curse to have the place you live full of unique and diverse life-forms.

Mike Kobseff is a friend of mine and lives right down the street from me. I can assure you, whether you agree with him or not, his understanding of the situation is both more nuanced and deeper than either of y'all's. It's easy to sit in the city and pontificate on something like this when it does not have a human face on it. There are so many different whiskers (pun intended) on this phenomenon and how it fits into the larger equation. Mike represents the people of the county. One of the many issues facing Siskiyou County is the lack of jobs, which is directly attributable to ESA. As noted, water is another serious issue. In both cases, there is a heavy handed federal element that is adversely affecting people here. It is not the wolves so much as the cascade of regulation that follows the wolves that people fear.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 am

Sorry, but I've held a deep-seated fear of wolves since this song was released back in 1978 ..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbmS5Pq6e7A[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

colinr

by colinr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:12 am

Bubba, I supected you would have some knowledge regarding these issues. You could also take aim at the messenger (partly me/partly the Record Searchlight) for choosing quotes suspected to garner attention. IIRC, several years back, debates about wolves ran much hotter on SP.

Bubba Suess wrote:Mike represents the people of the county. One of the many issues facing Siskiyou County is the lack of jobs, which is directly attributable to ESA. As noted, water is another serious issue. In both cases, there is a heavy handed federal element that is adversely affecting people here. It is not the wolves so much as the cascade of regulation that follows the wolves that people fear.

Bingo.

As for me, it bugs me when people make and influence political decisions based on fear on either side of an issue. At the same time, I haven't ever had to directly deal with envrionmental regulations impacting the way I make a living. I do know what it is like to deal with local control vs. multiple layers of control above. It is not fun for anyone, and the attitudes one deals with come in a wide variety colors.

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Last edited by mountainsandsound on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to California