To fly or not to fly...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Marmaduke

Re: To fly or not to fly...

by Marmaduke » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 am

The 4WD and AWD vehicles are pretty pricey to rent. If I remember correctlty, a smaller SUV for a week was around $500 (Banff, AL)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 am

Realistically I can probably get away without AWD or 4WD for Lee Vining or Owens Valley stuff, though it would be nice if the rental place offered chains in case it snowed and CHP enforced a chain requirement (sounds like another thread...). I drove for 20 years in New England winters, 16 of them in a front wheel drive only car, and did just fine.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:52 am

Better play it safe.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

The flight in/out of Mammoth is a blast, usually gorgeous views, and small planes, and inexpensive. But renting cars around here is reedunkulous: minimum $50/day for basic economy (I looked into it myself both when the TOF has been in the shop and when I had my knee surgery since I have a manual).

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
JHH60

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Lionel wrote:Flights like that are for wealthy people who don't want to use 12 hours to drive that back and forth.

That is a pretty funny statement. Driving to Mammoth from San Diego is 800 miles RT. In my case, I get 20mpg in our AWD SUV. That's 40 gallons of premium fuel at $4/gallon = $160. So, I wouldn't call paying $19 for the "rich" :)

That said, it depends what you want to do. If you're just going to Mammoth to ski, it would be foolish to drive to save $19. Seems worth it to save wear and tear on your vehicle and hours of driving. One other thing to consider is the weather. If it looks remotely unstable, you have a good chance to get your flight canceled.

I flew up there last week. Nice view of the Sierra and it only took 1h.

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am

edl wrote:
Denjem wrote:So there is air sevice from San Diego to Mammoth/ Yosemite airport now. After some research I found out that a flight is $179 round trip per person. To me this is a sh#t load of money. I can drive there and back for less that that.

Are you really sure it costs less than that to drive? Google maps tells me it's about 800 miles one way, or 1600 round trip. .

heh I think you entered "Mammoth" instead of "Mammoth Lakes", which gives you this:

http://g.co/maps/8cvf2

jareds

by jareds » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:58 am

Denjem wrote:a flight is $179 round trip per person. To me this is a sh#t load of money. I can drive there and back for less that that. I can take a trip that doesn't total that much.

I think this is for people who subscribe to the 'time is money' adage, but have less time than money.

i work long hours and don't get a ton of time off - my vacation time is valuable, if i were to fly i'd effectively gain most of two days' time in travel by flying.
think about a normal 40hr/week loser's weekend(me) - i have two days, so driving to mammoth is out of the question. that plane ticket is the difference between me flying there friday after work, ski two days or do an overnight ski tour, then be back to work on monday vs. not skiing.
my other option is driving to tahoe(2.5hrs away) but i risk a traffic-induced SEVEN HOUR trip back or risk road closure due to storm etc.

TL,DR - when you see the planes landing in mammoth, just think 'those poor souls, i hope they can squeeze enough fun out of the weekend to last the next 5 days!'

EDIT - fyi i'm in san francisco

jareds

by jareds » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:04 am

JHH60 wrote:Has anyone here tried flying United from SFO to Mammoth and renting a car, and are there pitfalls?

I have not but have been looking myself. Found some R/T for like $130.
Sounds like rental cars can be pricey.

Someone in Bishop/Mammoth area should put a craigslist ad up offering a trailhead shuttle service!

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Where the hell did you dig up this post? Geez, you guys worry me.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Denjem wrote:Where the hell did you dig up this post? Geez, you guys worry me.

Search Forum function. I am thinking about flying to Mammoth vs. driving and figured I'd see if someone else had discussed it here before starting a new thread.

Previous

Return to California