World's Most Beautiful Mountains?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

World's Most Beautiful Mountains?

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Kiefer

Re: World's Most Beautiful Mountains?

by Kiefer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

I'd have to disagree with Mt. Everest, Shasta, Rainier and Denali (from the list). Their sheer massif size take away from the singular vista of the actual peak.
However, my vote goes to Alpamayo, Ama Dablam or Mt. Blanc as THE most beautiful.

I'd substitute the four I mentioned above with: Artesonraju, Long's Peak, Machapuchare and Parinacota. Although I could come up with a VERY exaustive list of others that need mention.
This is what I could think of off the top of my head.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Those peaks were selected with an objective for people to buy plane tickets... no other criteria. Note the 'Find Flights' area on the right is updated with each peak.

The only one they got right is Mount Shasta.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

mrchad9 wrote:The only one they got right is Mount Shasta.

Shasta doesn't look a whole lot different from Rainier, Mt Ararat, Mount Ngauruhoe, Mt Fuji, Chimbarzo. or many of the other peaks. My vote is for Mt Shuksan as seen from Artist's Point:

Begguya is pretty nice too:

Baarb

by Baarb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

An album of relevance http://www.summitpost.org/most-beautifu ... rth/232265 (There might be others on here). Ama Dablam for me.

Steve Pratt

Aconcagua? really?

by Steve Pratt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Robson and not Assiniboine? Chimborazo? Come on. And Ararat? Cool peaks for sure, but 20 most beautiful?

Any "most beautiful" list that doesn't include the Grand can't be taken seriously.

For the Cascades' representative, I agree Shasta might belong. It has very graceful lines. But Rainier is a bit too blocky to be considered one of the world's top 20. And Hood is nicer than either.

No Sierra's on the list, which is also crazy. I guess the prettiest Sierra peaks are not famous enough, and the famous ones aren't always pretty, but how about Half Dome?

The following user would like to thank Steve Pratt for this post
ExcitableBoy, gwave47

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Some of the stuff in Gates of the Arctic is amazing. That and the Karakorams.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 am

All we have to do is to take a quick look at Afzal's gallery, and that's only in Pakistan. Take a look at G4, Trango Towers, Nameless Tower,etc.etc.etc. I would add the following that are not in The Karakorams, Alpamayo, Ama Dablam, Machapuchar.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 am

mrchad9 wrote:Those peaks were selected with an objective for people to buy plane tickets... no other criteria.

Sounds about right, but many of the peaks are very symetrical, like what a child might draw if asked to draw a mountain. I think what makes a mountain visually striking for climbers is complexity of terrain - sweeping rock buttresses, steep hanging glaciers, sinous couloirs, fluted ridges.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 am

http://14ers.com/php14ers/panoramas.php?parmid=50
Check out this Pano from the top of Mount Wilson. The San Juans are beautiful.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

From first hand experience, I've seen half of those mountains with my own eyes:

Mount Ngauruhoe, Mount Everest, Mount Fuji, Mount Cook, Mount Rainier, Kilimanjaro, Chimborazo, Ama Dablam, Mount McKinley, and Mount Shasta.

The other half, I have not seen myself:

Piz Bernina, Mount Ararat, Matterhorn, Alpamayo, Mount Robson, Fitz Roy, The Eiger, Aiguille du Dru, Aconcagua, and Shivling.

All those are beautiful mountains, but I doubt the person who chose them has been to many of them and the choice was probably made up in some conference room.

I can't really judge in a fair manner for the mountains I haven't seen, but if I were to choose the most beautiful mountains that I have seen, most would be in the Himalaya (I haven't been to the Karakorum). A few might be in the Caucasus, the Southern Alps (New Zealand) and maybe southeast Alaska, but other than Ama Dablam I wouldn't have chose those ones (even if they are pretty). Mount Cook might rank in the top 30-40 though.

Out of the mountains I haven't seen, the ones in the HImalaya (the ones I haven't seen), Karakorum, Baffin Island and Cordillera Blanca would rank as the ones that look the most beautiful in photographs.

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:19 am

Should a factor be whether the mountain looks beautiful from only a select few angles or whether it looks beautiful from every direction?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:28 am

For the Sierra I propose....

Senad Rizvanovic

by Senad Rizvanovic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:01 am

K2 by far!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 am

Drive up and down the Icefields Parkway in Alberta or on Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park and you'll see a lot of contenders.

Personal lists are always interesting because they reveal people's particular interests, but these generalized lists strike me as pretty silly. I think sometimes "most photographed" or "most visited" becomes mistaken for "most beautiful."

Two personal favorites of mine, and only a relative handful could name them without looking at the captions that go with the pictures:

And this one (on the left), which will be recognizable to more than a few:

They won't make any of these published lists, but my pulse races every time I see them.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Next

Return to General