First Whitney Winter solos of E Face and E Buttress?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
zoomloco

First Whitney Winter solos of E Face and E Buttress?

by zoomloco » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Reporting a Winter linkup, solos of the East face and East Buttress, 12h 45 min car-to-car on Feb 10. My 5th and 6th summits of this amazing mountain, and completely free of humanity except myself, very tranquil. I am wondering if this is the first solo linkup of those routes in Winter. I would have guessed it's been done but haven't found anything online.
TR is on the Pullharder Alpine Club web page. http://pullharder.org/2012/02/11/winter-whitney-linkup/

Since TRs that are not proprietary to summit post get pulled down, I guess this is the best place to put the link. If not, please let me know. Thanks.

aran

Re: First Whitney Winter solos of E Face and E Buttress?

by aran » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:44 pm

No idea on WFAs, but that was a great TR my friend. Your writing exudes tranquility- don't know if that's how it felt out there that day but it is a style of climbing aspire to, roped or not. Keep up the good work, hope to see you in the 'pine someday.

The following user would like to thank aran for this post
zoomloco

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Impressive!! Nice work!

The following user would like to thank Luciano136 for this post
zoomloco

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 pm

If I remember correctly Mendenhall did both the FWA of the East Face and East Buttress. I'm pretty sure of the East Buttress, in the 50s with Wilson. Mendenhall wrote me a letter in 83 after Miguel Carmona and I did the East Face in winter and I wrote a short story about it in the Mugelnoos newsletter of the RCS. He mentioned something about Galen Rowell possibly doing the 2nd Winter Ascent of both in the late 70s. The solo FWA , I don't know. I would think that separately, you can assume they were done, the link-up, a good question.

In any case, wonderful outing! Congrats.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
zoomloco

Return to California