To Anyone Interested

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: To Anyone Interested

by Scott » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 am

Best of luck Aaron. I hope we can meet again in the mountains. I'll let you know next time I'm in the Denver area. I suspect my days living in Colorado are numbered.

visentin

by visentin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am

mvs

by mvs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:This is hilarious. Someone finally realized that forums are boring and it is cool to make fun of religious people.

Same people that will edit/delete your post do not mind taking a crap on a cross, or let the crapping slide, so to say. Some of the elves here make me sick.

I think you are the one taking a crap on kind of a sad and serious situation. Pull it together dude and quit spitting venom.

tonyo

by tonyo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

I've been a member of SummitPost for over ten years and have benefited greatly. Aaron, you and I have never met, talked, or interacted personally, but I've always enjoyed your contributions immensely. I've always looked forward to your contributions and I could always count on them being worth my time. In my mind, it's been people like you that make the 'real' site. The other is blather. And, in a way, it has to be allowed here because this is a public site. It's always been a problem- just look over the posts over the years. That's why those extra forums were created. I didn't see the thread in question, but I guess that's sort of the point. I don't bother with the worthless stuff. I still like the site. Lots of good people have left over the years. It's been a shame to see them go- I can think of a few who were excellent writers and climbers and whose contributions were some of the best. I used to be a several-times-a-day SP addict. Now it's down to a couple of times a week. By leaving, you're taking a huge bite out of the SP quality. I hardly added anything useful here myself, so I guess I can't really have much of an opinion that matters, but I'll miss seeing your stuff whenever I do stop by. I'd rather you didn't go.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Tonyo, Aaron and Ellen are not leaving because of anything they read in the forum.

Aaron's stated reasons for leaving are absurd. The thread he took issue with was no worse than many that were tolerated in his day. And Christians and Jews are not persecuted in America, for goodness sake. (On the contrary, to profess to be anything else is the kiss of death if you run for high office in this country--of 535 members of Congress, we have, what, 1 sort-of atheist and 1 Muslim?). To say these religions are "persecuted" would be to mock the true martyrs from back in the day when they really were.

No, Aaron and Ellen are leaving for another reason. I can't say I know what it is, and I wonder if they really know either. Their stated wish for SP to die quickly (rather than reform) would be childish, if they meant it, but they don't, really--it's contradicted by their statement that others "deserve a chance" to maintain the pages they are dropping.

Rather than try to talk them out of their logic, one might as well just wish them well in their future endeavors. They are talented and will contribute somewhere else.

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
Dow Williams, seano

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Vitaliy,

Do you like apples ? :wink:

i think he likes lemons, limes, grapefruit and sometimes grapes. :wink:

Monster5

by Monster5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm

From a casual observer:

Couldn't care less about the forums. The broad information resources make SP unique - the true bread and butter of the site. They've aided in numerous routes and provided a number of outdoors opportunities not described on other sites. It's a pity to take content down simply because of the forums or other trivial reasons. The invaluable information some of you can provide is important for detailing mountaineering history, variety, culture, and opportunities for the younger generations.

Every time I view the forums, somebody is leaving or whining for one reason or another. The reasons tend to be fairly childish and counter-productive - ie "I'm leaving because the quality is going down; I'm leaving because the overall technical skill of the users is falling; I'm leaving because nobody takes the time to stroke my ego and vote on my content; I'm leaving because the mods are bullies and censor the forums; I'm leaving because somebody posts something controversial and the mods don't censor it."

C'mon. Really? The badasses who pioneered and documented all of these routes and provided the information to see others through the same routes safely are whining over trivial crap like that and dangling your information around like a series of hostages? Ye ol' softies. You're contributing to the reason you are disappointed; instead, contribute to the redeeming aspects of the site - the information, route descriptions, and articles. Else, the site is truly relegated to a mere shadow, waiting for another to take its place and your purpose and contributions to younger generations in this context will become lost.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Monster5 wrote:From a casual observer:

Couldn't care less about the forums. The broad information resources make SP unique - the true bread and butter of the site. They've aided in numerous routes and provided a number of outdoors opportunities not described on other sites. It's a pity to take content down simply because of the forums or other trivial reasons. The invaluable information some of you can provide is important for detailing mountaineering history, variety, culture, and opportunities for the younger generations.

Every time I view the forums, somebody is leaving or whining for one reason or another. The reasons tend to be fairly childish and counter-productive - ie "I'm leaving because the quality is going down; I'm leaving because the overall technical skill of the users is falling; I'm leaving because nobody takes the time to stroke my ego and vote on my content; I'm leaving because the mods are bullies and censor the forums; I'm leaving because somebody posts something controversial and the mods don't censor it."

C'mon. Really? The badasses who pioneered and documented all of these routes and provided the information to see others through the same routes safely are whining over trivial crap like that and dangling your information around like a series of hostages? Ye ol' softies. You're contributing to the reason you are disappointed; instead, contribute to the redeeming aspects of the site - the information, route descriptions, and articles. Else, the site is truly relegated to a mere shadow, waiting for another to take its place and your purpose and contributions to younger generations in this context will become lost.

Have not read this whole thread, and sure don't see the need to.....way too predictable as always...but this statement could not be written any better if one tried.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 pm

twoshuzz , seriously why the hell did you delete that comment?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 pm

mvs wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:This is hilarious. Someone finally realized that forums are boring and it is cool to make fun of religious people.

Same people that will edit/delete your post do not mind taking a crap on a cross, or let the crapping slide, so to say. Some of the elves here make me sick.

I think you are the one taking a crap on kind of a sad and serious situation. Pull it together dude and quit spitting venom.

Well it is obvious that OP also thinks elves are currently doing a terrible job. That is why he is pulling his pages and saying good bye (according to him). You know who to thank for this serious situation. Your boring self and others that is. Even in this "serious" according to you thread fellow twoshuzz deletes my comment (although I did not break any rules by saying what I said in it) and than makes a lame attempt at being funny by mocking me. Great job mods.

Personally I think he was a very good member, and would not want him to go. And I am Christian myself, so I could relate to him being in disgust with disrespect displayed to religion here.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 pm

I appreciated Aaron's hard work, though most of it I saw was transferred to others. I'm glad he put in the time to make his contributions worth transferring in the first place. So thank you Mr. Johnson.

That said, I can't say I'm sad to see him go because I was under the impression he was already gone. If you want to completely withdraw from posting, I think cutting ties would see your curiosity with the forums die first. This idea doesn't necessarily pertain to Aaron, since I can say I really have had no contact with him in any way other than the bits of pages he'd left to live. I'm sure plenty of people from SP who leave in a tantrum while deleting their stuff because of their bruised ego in the forum immediately create a new account so they can see what people have to say about them afterwards. Thats their call, not mine. Deep down I'll know they dont have the thick skin to contribute to the jungle we call the internet. Again, not saying that as an attack on Aaron, just putting it out there. For you to see.

So yes, best of luck with your endeavors Aaron, and stay safe. I'm sure at some point we'll cross paths on a trail, but I wont know who you are so I'll just smile and greet you like I would for anyone else I see in the mountains.

Because after all, those who you come across in the real world aren't always the same persecuting bigots you see on the internet.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 am

While interesting, it appears to me to be a feelble minded attempt of the Christain majority trying to frame themselves as some sort of persecuted tribe - a boondoggle at best. Good riddadance to someone with such a thin skin.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:25 am

So now I have to ask, where did the other thread go?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:09 am

Sorry for being off topic, but maybe we could CHANGE the mood a bit with a lively rendition from the immortal trio ELP ....?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UWkKccf6_Y[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Holsti97

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Good riddadance to someone with such a thin skin.

So SP was made for only the thick skinned people? :?
AJ did a lot for this site, show a little more respect.

Not trying to create a scene, just saying. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
MarkDidier

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback