Omni Heat?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Drazhar

Omni Heat?

by Drazhar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 am

anyone tried any of these jackets from Columbia?? i would love some feed back from people that probably use them for more than just walking to the store with.

Hotoven

Re: Omni Heat?

by Hotoven » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Never wore one, they look more like a gimmicky thing than anything. They must weigh a lot, seem unpractical to me...I would not be surprised if a nice down parka is warmer than these jackets.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Not a jacket, but my wife has the mid-weight Omni Heat base layer. She has used it for XC skiing, hiking, and just walking to the store. She likes it a lot and says she is going to get another one. She says it keeps her warm, but she doesn't get too warm or sweaty in it. So far, she wears one less layer with it than she normally would.

surly

by surly » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am

jdzaharia wrote:Not a jacket, but my wife has the mid-weight Omni Heat base layer. She has used it for XC skiing, hiking, and just walking to the store. She likes it a lot and says she is going to get another one. She says it keeps her warm, but she doesn't get too warm or sweaty in it. So far, she wears one less layer with it than she normally would.

My wife too and she also likes it. I figure it probably helps but you can also lose heat through conduction so its not a silver bullet.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 am

I have a pair of Omni-Heat pants and they are great! Very warm. Because of the pants. I'm now getting the Cubique Jacket from Columbia, $210 from Sierra Trading Post.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Drazhar wrote:anyone tried any of these jackets from Columbia?? i would love some feed back from people that probably use them for more than just walking to the store with.

I was going to get the "Cubique" jacket but was waiting for a sale, the price has been at $210 and not dropping. Zappos has the North Face Vortex on sale, down to $167 (for green), other colors are $182. So I went with the North Face.

LuminousAphid

by LuminousAphid » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:53 pm

They might be OK in a very cold climate or for someone who runs very cold, but I know the moment I put one of those things on it would be swamp pits for days. It would never smell right again after I was done with it.

I would suggest the tried-and-true layering system over any type of electrically heated garment. If you have the correct materials and layering, you should never get cold. And then when you get hot, you don't have to carry a heavyweight (and probably not very compressible) jacket around with you for the rest of the day. +no batteries

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:57 pm

LuminousAphid wrote:I would suggest the tried-and-true layering system over any type of electrically heated garment. If you have the correct materials and layering, you should never get cold. And then when you get hot, you don't have to carry a heavyweight (and probably not very compressible) jacket around with you for the rest of the day. +no batteries

I don't believe the "Omni Heat" clothing line for Columbia uses batteries, my pants don't and I don't see any mention of that on the specs.

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
LuminousAphid, radson

LuminousAphid

by LuminousAphid » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Oh god, I thought you were talking about those commercials with "wimf hof" doing crazy things and then the other guy just has some jacket with a push-button heating thing... sorry about that. I guess that is specifically the "Omni-Heat Electric" jackets and stuff, I didn't realize there was a normal "Omni-Heat" that is just a liner technology.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:06 pm

The Columbia "Omni Heat" jackets are about a 1/2 pound lighter than the Triclimate North Face Jackets by the way. Just an FYI. I would bet they are pretty equal in all other aspects, so it comes down to cost and weight. No batteries needed. (wink)

no avatar
DazzP

by DazzP » Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Does anyone have the battery pack for the jackets?
I'm needing to know id the DC socket on it is centre pin positive or negative.
Please help anyone

ChristopherFranklin

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:53 am

I have ridge 2 run omni heat pants they are warm enough I had to take of my long underwear off in 10 deg weather.

Return to Gear