Wheeler Peak (NM)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
chewbachman

Wheeler Peak (NM)

by chewbachman » Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 am

I'm looking to hike Wheeler Peak in mid-June. Any one have any suggestions? I did Humphries Peak in AZ last June, should we expect similar wind gusts? Is Taos the best place to stay while we are in the area? Any information would be helpful... thank you!

Holsti97

Re: Wheeler Peak (NM)

by Holsti97 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Wheeler Peak is a fun climb. Like most mountains you want to climb early in the day and can expect any kind of weather. We did it in May via the Williams Lake Trail. We stayed at the Austing Haus in Taos Ski Valley the night before and started our climb at 6:00 AM. After our climb we went to Taos and found a hotel and then walked around town viewing the many shops and art galleries. On Wednesday nights you may find live music at the Taos Plaza. The night I was there I saw two great music groups the Brent Berry Band and Katy Palmier and The Monkey Feeders. Both were excellent. I truly enjoyed the one day I spent in Taos and plan on returning.

The following user would like to thank Holsti97 for this post
chewbachman

chewbachman

by chewbachman » Sat May 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the info... we are really looking forward to the trip!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Sun May 06, 2012 4:26 am

It depends on your route. I've been up Wheeler in beautiful calm days, windy days, and thunderstorm days by both the East Fork and Bull of the Woods. I have not done Williams Lake. In June I would be expecting the monsoon thunderstorms but be prepared for anything. I usually stay in Eagle Nest but my aunt has a cabin there and the price is right. There is a campground at the parking area at the Bull of the Woods trailhead. At the end of the road at the base of the East Fork, there is a large meadow suitable for camping as well a couple hundred yards off the road.

Have a great time.

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
chewbachman

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Sun May 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I did it in June as a short 2-day loop. Here's my take-aways and TR:

1. There is no store at Taos.
2. June gets thunderstorms.
3. Very pretty hike.
4. Camping at LcCal Basin, my original plan, would have been quite nice.

http://www.splattski.com/2006/wheeler/index.html

The following user would like to thank splattski for this post
chewbachman

robjustice

by robjustice » Sun May 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Any Idea how much snow there is now? We are headed out Friday.

jfrishmanIII

by jfrishmanIII » Sun May 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Can't help you for Wheeler specifically, but I strolled up to about 11,300' above the Santa Fe ski area yesterday. Snow drifts were just showing up on north aspects in the trees at that elevation. My intuition from past experience is that southern and western aspects are probably pretty clear, north slopes will have some good drifts in the trees, but nothing one can't negotiate. Above treeline, I doubt you'll find much significant snow at all. The storms this past week might have left some dustings, but not enough to change the equation. Give it a go and I think you'll be fine, though gators might be nice if you have them.

As far as wind goes, it always a possibility in New Mexico, but this spring hasn't been too bad for the most part. Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

The following user would like to thank jfrishmanIII for this post
chewbachman

no avatar
markv

by markv » Fri May 25, 2012 8:11 am

I would recommend taking the slightly longer Bull of the Woods trail, at least on the way up. It's prettier and you stay on the ridgeline longer. This means getting a crack of dawn start so you don't have to worry about t-storms.

The last time up there we intended to camp a couple miles in on the trail, but it was raining and we were wussies. The good news is that during June, off-season, you can pop into a couple of the ski lodges and haggle out a reasonable hotel room on the spot. To do a third time, that would be the plan: come ready to backpack it, and then if the weather sucks just enjoy a lodge room instead.

Also, if by any chance you're up there on a Friday and you like (or might end up liking) classical music, stop on by the old grandaddy of the ski area, the Hotel St. Benard. For years they've hosted one of the VERY top college-age music student summer events, and they have concert dinners that are really unique and worth it. Good food, the original ski lodge, and musicians who will likely be the next Yo Yo Ma's etc.

robjustice

by robjustice » Mon May 28, 2012 4:14 pm

We just got back, and it was an amazing trip.

We started early and hiked the Williams Lake trailhead (62), up to the lake. We ran into deep snow at the woods, but it was early enough they we had no issue staying on top. Once you hit the woods, the trees are marked with a Blue Dots on the trees. These dots are between 6' and 8' and pretty straight forward to follow. The hike to the lake was easy and just before the lake there is a post marking where trail 67 intersects. When it opens up at the lake the views are incredible. We hiked back to the trail marker and set out on 67. For about 1/4 mile the trail followed the blue dots, then as the blue dots where moving off to the left, the footpath went straight. We followed the blue dots for a while, but it was clear that no one had gone that way for a while. Thru the snow drifts, there was no footprints and we were postholing every step. We forged ahead for a bit before deciding to cut back back towards the footpath. We reached 13,000 ft and there was a group of Longhorn sheep. The wind was absolutely howling, and the summits within site. Following the ridge line we made the summit and enjoyed the views.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)