Durango v Vail

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bill Reed

Re: Durango v Vail

by Bill Reed » Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 am

My 2 cents, for what it's worth - Durango is a real town, Vail is not. Durango is on the Animas River, Vail is on I-70.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Tue May 08, 2012 1:38 am

Bill Reed wrote:My 2 cents, for what it's worth - Durango is a real town, Vail is not. Durango is on the Animas River, Vail is on I-70.

I agree 100% with Bill. Been to Durango many, many times and lived in Vail/Avon for 8 years.
Your dollar is going to go a lot farther in Durango. Kids will have an easier time as Durango IS a real town.
Vail has a good atmosphere but come winter/summer, it wears vastly different faces.
I do miss it a lot. But that's the opinion of a single guy...not someone with a family.

I'd personally go with Durango.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Tue May 08, 2012 2:46 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:
Bill Reed wrote:My 2 cents, for what it's worth - Durango is a real town, Vail is not. Durango is on the Animas River, Vail is on I-70.

I agree 100% with Bill. Been to Durango many, many times and lived in Vail/Avon for 8 years.
Your dollar is going to go a lot farther in Durango. Kids will have an easier time as Durango IS a real town.
Vail has a good atmosphere but come winter/summer, it wears vastly different faces.
I do miss it a lot. But that's the opinion of a single guy...not someone with a family.

I'd personally go with Durango.

Assuming pay is the same, you'll have a lot more disposable in Durango. Cost of living is just higher, and even just checking current gas prices, Vail is over $.30/gal higher.

RyanS

by RyanS » Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm

TarkioCowboy wrote:Telluride seems like a big drive from there in winter.

If I'm not mistaken, the only pass you'd have to deal with is Lizard Head Pass immediately before descending to Telluride. 2-3 hrs drive with minimal traffic. You wouldn't want to do it every weekend, but it's certainly within reach.

And Wolf Creek is even closer.

Return to Colorado