New Everest Book on 1996 tragedy

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Hotoven

New Everest Book on 1996 tragedy

by Hotoven » Wed May 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Has anyone read the newer book A Day To Die For: 1996: Everest's Worst Disaster - One Survivor's Personal Journey to Uncover the Truth? It seems like every book about Everest “reveals” the truth about some disaster. I thought it looks interesting since I have read many books on this tragedy, and it’s hard to think there are yet even more facts!? From those of you who have read it, is it worth the read?
Here’s a description of the book

On the night of 10-11 May 1996, eight climbers perished in what remains the worst disaster in Everest's history. Following the tragedy, numerous accounts were published, with Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air becoming an international bestseller. But has the whole story been told? A Day to Die For reveals for the first time the full, startling facts that led to the tragedy. Graham Ratcliffe, the first British climber to reach the summit of Mount Everest twice, was a first-hand witness, having spent the night on Everest's South Col at 26,000 ft, sheltering from the deadly storm. For years, he has shouldered a burden of guilt, feeling that he and his teammates could have saved lives that fateful night. His quest for answers has led to discoveries so important to an understanding of the disaster that he now questions why these facts were not made public sooner. History is dotted with highprofile disasters that both horrify and capture the attention of the public, but very rarely is our view of them revised to such devastating effect.

"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

mountainsandsound

Re: New Everest Book on 1996 tragedy

by mountainsandsound » Wed May 16, 2012 4:19 pm

"uncover the truth" "reveal the truth" "the untold story" = good marketing

I suppose with every account there is a new perspective and more "truth telling". Personally, the Jon Krakauer book is all need on the 1996 Everest disaster. Do I think it is the absolute truth or last word? Far from it, in fact I think you can argue that the author attempts to exculpate himself a bit. But it is a damn good read and Krakauer tells a good story. That is why I read the book.

no avatar
topworldbooks

by topworldbooks » Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 am

While I have yet to read Ratcliffe's book it does look interesting. He has been to Everest four times, twice before the 1996 disaster, and was on the South Col during the storm. His main focus is on the 1996 weather - who knew what and when. This is actually the 21st book either by or about someone who was there.

Krakauer's book is certainly a great read but I would also encourage folks to read Anatoli Boukreev's book 'The Climb' to get a different perspective.

Cheers, Greg (Top of the World Books)

RickF

by RickF » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:12 am

topworldbooks wrote:While I have yet to read Ratcliffe's book it does look interesting. He has been to Everest four times, twice before the 1996 disaster, and was on the South Col during the storm. His main focus is on the 1996 weather - who knew what and when. This is actually the 21st book either by or about someone who was there.

Krakauer's book is certainly a great read but I would also encourage folks to read Anatoli Boukreev's book 'The Climb' to get a different perspective.

I started with Krakauer's In To Thin Air, then read Beck Weather's Left For Dead. Ed Viesturs includes a chapter in No ShortCuts to the Top. I had to read Anatoli Bourkreev's response in The Climb. The 1996 season is also directly referenced in Michael Kodas' High Crimes. Now I'll have to check out Ratcliffe's book too. What are the other 16 books?

no avatar
Ozzie

by Ozzie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:45 am

There IS a new book on Everest '96 which does break new ground, titled strangely enough Everest '96. It tells the strange but true story of the villain of the 1996 season - Ian Woodall, who was pilloried by Krakauer for not making his radio available to the rescue efforts. The man was a charlatan who fabricated his climbing and military CV to get the role. Woodall is shown briefly in the new film Everest. You can find the book here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014VMISCE

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:46 am

RickF wrote:
topworldbooks wrote:While I have yet to read Ratcliffe's book it does look interesting. He has been to Everest four times, twice before the 1996 disaster, and was on the South Col during the storm. His main focus is on the 1996 weather - who knew what and when. This is actually the 21st book either by or about someone who was there.

I started with Krakauer's In To Thin Air, then read Beck Weather's Left For Dead. Ed Viesturs includes a chapter in No ShortCuts to the Top. I had to read Anatoli Bourkreev's response in The Climb. The 1996 season is also directly referenced in Michael Kodas' High Crimes. Now I'll have to check out Ratcliffe's book too. What are the other 16 books?

I have read many books on these events as well. Bourkreev's book, along with others told me Krakauer is a liar, pure and simple. I will read this one as well.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:47 pm

I saw 'Meru' last night and got to see Krakauer narrating the film a bit. I can say that he's a sensationalist. He also looks and sounds like a jackass. He's probably the type of guy that you want to punch in the face at a bar after a few beers. He'll write or say whatever is needed to sell. The one part that really stood out was how he said Jennifer Lowe, now Jennifer Anker had no idea what Conrad was doing on Meru, trying to put emphasis on how gnarly that climb was. Well of course she has an idea, she has been married to two of the best alpine climbers her whole life.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
Marmaduke

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am

I had a read of this book and most of the others. This is a proud story of New Zealand mountain guiding. All the books on the story are good. We are a close knit community here in New Zealand and stories like this make us proud. Though this story was only about Rob Hall he and Gary Ball did some massive things in climbing all over the world. Some of the best climbers to ever live and they will never be forgotten.

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander