Crampons punctured my boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
juggernaut

Crampons punctured my boots

by juggernaut » Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

I bought a new pair of backpacking boots (Asolo 520 GTX) and put on my black diamond contact crampons on them. I summited Mt. Shasta couple of days back, however, the crampons punctured my boots in a couple of spots (near the toes) :oops:

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue or was it just me (and my boots) ? I've used contact crampons before with my hiking boots and didn't have any issues and I've also used step-in crampons with Lowa GTX Mountaineering boots and did not have issues with those either.

Any word of advice ? Should I just buy plastic boots ?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Crampons punctured my boots

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

You should learn to walk with crampons on, seriously. I wear crampons with trail running shoes and approach shoes sometimes. Its not the boots fault. Take the boots to a cobbler to see if they can fix them or just Seam Grip them very well to maintain water resistance. Plastic boots are for very cold and/or extended trips/expeditions.

no avatar
luzak00

by luzak00 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 am

Did you puncture them from stepping on them? If so, that's not the fault of the boot. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post.

Plastic boots are miserable IMO, reserved for necessity.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 am

I don't think I quite understand either... were you just stepping all over your toes or what? I don't really see how you'd do it otherwise.

Osterizer

by Osterizer » Sat May 26, 2012 4:24 pm

My guess is that they weren't tight enough and the front contact points were rubbing against the boot.

Return to Gear