moving to the Seattle area

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
jordansahls

Re: moving to the Seattle area

by jordansahls » Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 am

It sounds like Snohomish is your place. It is rural and centrally located in regards to most major Washington climbing destinations. I grew up in Snohomish and have since lived north in Bellingham and south in Seattle and I can say that Snohomish has a lot going for it. You are about an hour from Index if you want to get in some great granite trad climbing. Washington pass is about a 3 hour drive, Darrington rock is around 1-1.5 hours away, Rainier is 3 hours away, Leavenworth is 2 hours away. There are a couple of great parks for trail running and a collection of roads outside of town have amazing cycling. Also, depending on where you live in Snohomish you are very close to Everett (anywhere from 10-20 minute drive). If you have any specific questions about the area let me know and I will answer them the best I can.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 am

I've taken the bus to Snohomish a couple of times which is pretty decent (although the bus service in the entire Snohomish County has been getting a bit stripped). Plus Snohomish has a decent bike trail that my mom took me to many times when I was younger.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Wastral wrote:Uh, EB, Index isn't world class trad when compared to CO. Don't even try to go there! Its not even in screaming distance let alone shouting.

That's right. Nothing good to climb at Index. Keep driving east to Leavenworth. Don't let Colin Haley, Mikey Shaefer, Justin Sjong, Fred Beckey, Hugh Herr or Todd Skinner fool you.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Josh Lewis

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Wed May 30, 2012 4:57 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:
Wastral wrote:Uh, EB, Index isn't world class trad when compared to CO. Don't even try to go there! Its not even in screaming distance let alone shouting.

That's right. Nothing good to climb at Index. Keep driving east to Leavenworth. Don't let Colin Haley, Mikey Shaefer, Justin Sjong, Fred Beckey, Hugh Herr or Todd Skinner fool you.

This topic reminds me of when I am in Colorado local Colorado folks trying to imitate you, by saying the alpine of Colorado is just as good as Washington, California, Wyoming, or Canada Rockies... Its not even close. In fact Colorado alpine is down right boring. Giant mole hills for the most part.

1 little wall of good rock is world class trad? Uh no.

What you are saying equivalently is that Index is comparable to Yosemite. Get real man. Colorado is equivalent to Yosemite or nearly depending on what you decide to climb and there is a TON more of it.

I don't believe you have ever been in Colorado it seems. High quality rock of all types is EVERYWHERE along with excellent weather for most of the year. It is Ubiquitous. To be a world class destination you have to have more than 3 routes or in Index's case 23 routes. Yea, the rock is good on the few routes that are there. So what? When you are waiting in line its not very good anymore. Or when you have already climbed the good routes and have to do laps on them... That is not world class trad. That is just good trad whom the locals have over inflated its reputation because they don't have anything better. The 6 pitch climb of Petit Grepon is better climbing than anything in Washington outside of liberty crack on liberty bell, actually its better as it doesn't require aid, and its not exactly unique in Colorado.

I am not saying Index is not good. It is don't get me wrong. But, it is NOT world class though. Never take the opinion of locals as fact as they are always over inflated. Let outsiders give said opinion. Outsiders opinion it seems is that they skip it and go to BC or Washington pass or Leavenworth or city of Rocks Idaho or, Smith Rocks Oregon or red rocks or nearly anywhere BUT Index.

Common man a bit of reality and less hubris.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed May 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Wastral wrote: I don't believe you have ever been in Colorado it seems. High quality rock of all types is EVERYWHERE along with excellent weather for most of the year. It is Ubiquitous. To be a world class destination you have to have more than 3 routes or in Index's case 23 routes.

I am not saying Index is not good. It is don't get me wrong. But, it is NOT world class though. Never take the opinion of locals as fact as they are always over inflated. Let outsiders give said opinion. Outsiders opinion it seems is that they skip it and go to BC or Washington pass or Leavenworth or city of Rocks Idaho or, Smith Rocks Oregon or red rocks or nearly anywhere BUT Index.

Common man a bit of reality and less hubris.

My family is from Colorado, I have been there many, many times. But your point is taken. Locals often have a provencial attitude when it comes to their home crags, myself included. Compared to Yosemite or Squamish or Colorado, in terms of quanity, size, and weather, Index does not hold a candle. But in terms of the quality of stone and the climbing and training opportunities, the steep technical cracks are as good pitch for pitch as anywhere. When its not raining. But then you can aid climb.

As for outsiders skipping Index over other crags, I can understand that. I generally refer visting climbers to Washington Pass, The Enchantments, or the Stuart Range for alpine rock and alpine cragging. But I don't think it is a coincidence that local hardmen frequently cite Index as their favorite crag.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Wed May 30, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Wastral wrote:This topic reminds me of when I am in Colorado local Colorado folks trying to imitate you, by saying the alpine of Colorado is just as good as Washington, California, Wyoming, or Canada Rockies... Its not even close. In fact Colorado alpine is down right boring. Giant mole hills for the most part.

At least we can agree on one thing. :D

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Snohomish is a good place for access to your work in Everett and quick access to the Verlot/Granite Falls and areas north. But if you really want to have it all, access to the North Cascades, Rainier area, and the good rock of the Stuart Range/Eastern Washington, you need to have decent access to I-90/I-405 interchange. Some place like Mill Creek or Bothell. You'd be commuting against the traffic, so it the drive could be manageable. You'd also have access to the entire Cascae Range.

no avatar
sgriffy

by sgriffy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 pm

hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the great recommendations. My girlfriend and I found a place in Mukilteo that we liked so we are going to try that for a few months. We decided that we would rather be in Mukilteo rather than Snohomish or Monroe.

I should be moving in the next few weeks and I am looking for some climbing and skiing partners! I enjoy alpine climbs the most, but also climb a bit of trad and sport, although I don't lead yet. I also love to climb waterfall ice. I also backcountry ski far more than resort ski. Shoot me an email if you are interested in climbing/skiing sometime!

thanks

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm an enthusiast mountaineer! 8) Send me a PM if you ever want me to join on a alpine trip. But I do admit that the first half of Summer I'm going to be very booked with amazing climbs! :D

Norman

by Norman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:00 am

Rent for a year...then figure it out. Mass transit on I-5. I know people that travel to Seattle from Blaine, although I think the job must really be important. Burlington, Sedro Wooley, all have Hwy #20 access that makes Snoqualmie I-90 in 2nd place IMHO. Baker is closer too. I grew up in Seattle, but hard to imagine living there now or having to drive through it on a daily commute to get to Everett.

Vinny

by Vinny » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Mukilteo will be a good place to start.

you can even sell your waterfall ice axes to help pay for rent ;) unless you like the long drives. keep em if their alpine worthy though.
but what is great here is alpine climbing and Backcountry skiing - and you can hit Squamish for worldclass climbing and or Vancouver for biking in 2 hrs.

come check us out: www.Everettmountainrescue.org or take a mounties course to start leading and get connected: http://www.mountaineers.org/source/atri ... eve&ss=yes

mvs

by mvs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:12 pm

I lived in Woodinville and would go to Index before work or after work all the time. Especially with the long daylight of summer this is a great thing to do on weekdays.

I think they filmed Happy Gilmore at a golf course in Issaquah...love that film :p.

no avatar
sgriffy

by sgriffy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks again for all of the advise! I just moved in to my apartment in Mukilteo. As soon as I get settled in I will be ready to get out! Feel free to shoot me a message if you want a climbing partner.

Speaking of waterfall Ice, where is the closest location?

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:59 pm

sgriffy wrote:Thanks again for all of the advise! I just moved in to my apartment in Mukilteo. As soon as I get settled in I will be ready to get out! Feel free to shoot me a message if you want a climbing partner.

Colorado. Ha.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:07 pm

sgriffy wrote:

Best reliable ice near Seattle (around 5 hours) is in and around Lillooett, B.C. Reliable in that you can find something to climb somewhere up there most years. There is scattered waterfall ice around the state; Alpenthal Valley, Strobach Mt, Frenchman's Coolee. Most good ice climbers travel to Hyalite Canyon, Cody WY, and Canadian Rockies.

PreviousNext

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)