Children's education

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
ExcitableBoy

Re: Children's education

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA, there are a number of programs for adolescents, some specific for young women that mix science with mountaineering, some that are aimed at ‘underserved’’ populations (read economically disadvantaged), and college preparatory schools include experiential education. There is not much in the way of climbing education for young children, perhaps due to liability concerns through mountaineering clubs, schools, or inner city boys and girls clubs.

I started my daughter climbing when she was five years old, bouldering first, then top-roping. By the time she was eight years old she was following my partners and I up multi-pitch traditional 5.10s. I recall a climb up Deidre, one of the most popular multi-pitch routes at Squamish in B.C. A couple of adults behind us gave us the stink eye, being stuck behind an eight year old, her old man and partner. We had finished the route, descended, and returned to the car and the pair was only on pitch four of the eight pitch route. Children take naturally to climbing; the reaction from adults is often accusatory, as if introducing children to climbing is some type of child abuse.

mfox79

by mfox79 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:33 am

if it helps, I went to a private school that taught me how to work a map and compas as well as basicrock climbing skills. what I picked up has been thee roots of what I do. go for it!

visentin

by visentin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:26 am

Another nice school of life.

Return to Europe