Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

St. Helens Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

St. Helens Conditions

Postby ascasson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Does anyone know what St. Helens has been like recently? I'm going up Saturday -- thought I'd bring an ax, and crampons just in case.
ascasson

Re: St. Helens Conditions

Postby billisfree » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 pm

"Just in case"? DO take ax and crampons. Trust me.
billisfree

The following user would like to thank billisfree for this post
ascasson

Postby dskoon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Depends a bit on what conditions are like for ol' St. Helens. I suggest you look on Turns-All-Year, and see if there are any recent trips up there.
I've climbed it a few times, and never taken and axe or crampons. . . But, it was a little later than right now, July, and they weren't necessary. .
Again, it's all conditional. .
dskoon

Postby ascasson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

dskoon wrote:Depends a bit on what conditions are like for ol' St. Helens. I suggest you look on Turns-All-Year, and see if there are any recent trips up there.
I've climbed it a few times, and never taken and axe or crampons. . . But, it was a little later than right now, July, and they weren't necessary. .

Thanks for that resource, dskoon! Sure enough, someone wrote a brief report about Helens yesterday.
ascasson

Postby dskoon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:30 pm

ascasson wrote:
dskoon wrote:Depends a bit on what conditions are like for ol' St. Helens. I suggest you look on Turns-All-Year, and see if there are any recent trips up there.

Thanks for that resource, dskoon! Sure enough, someone wrote a brief report about Helens yesterday.

There ya go! Yeah, they're a good one. As always, one must do their research, etc, and make the decision they feel most comfortable with.
dskoon

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)