Koip Pass/Alger Lakes Conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
artrock23

Koip Pass/Alger Lakes Conditions?

by artrock23 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm planning to do a hike out of Silver Lake to Alger Lakes, and bag the Koip and Kuna peaks.

Has anyone been in this area recently or have knowledge of the current conditions? Will I want to bring cramp-ons and an ice axe for the glacier bowl?

Greg Enright

Re: Koip Pass/Alger Lakes Conditions?

by Greg Enright » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:30 am

There won't be much snow if you are hiking up to Koip and Kuna from Alger Lakes. The ridgeline from the trail to the tops of the peaks is most likely snow free now.

If you are looking to practice with your ice axe and crampons in the glacier bowl, that would entail a detour down from the most direct route, then back up. I haven't been lately, so I could not give you specific conditions, but the snowpack in the area looks like typical late August levels.

The following user would like to thank Greg Enright for this post
artrock23

BHunewill

by BHunewill » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 pm

This is the south side of Koip Pass taken on June 16th. Not too much to worry about.

The following user would like to thank BHunewill for this post
artrock23

artrock23

by artrock23 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. When I go, i'll take some pics and post them up here.

I've heard that the fishing in Alger lakes can be good, is it worth bringing some light fishing gear?

Return to California