Notes for travelling in Tibetan highland areas
Before the Start~~
Take good consideration and necessary precautions like taking portable Oxygen, etc. if you have problem with your heart, lungs, brains, liver or kidney. Taking a physical examination is highly recommended before taking the adventure.
What to take with you~~
First take appropriate clothing with you as per the related seasons request. Always take some warm-keeping clothes with you as the nights in highland areas especially at outdoors environment is quite cold. Take your personal adventure equipment including sleeping bags, damp-free cushion, tent, etc. Take some anti-suntan oil or cream or lipstick to apply on yourself everyday to avoid the water loss would help you to remain your body resistibility. Flashlight, headlight, umbrella, toilet tissues, a personal water jug, environment bags are some must during your whole trip. A sun-glasses, sunbonnet, wet tissues, moisture maintaining stuff are definitely your good assistant. Try NOT to ware your contact lens as there are quite many dust at outdoors environment. Ladies should take enough personal sanitary stuff as the physiological rhythm might be in disorder in highland as resulted by the climate and adventure tiredness. Less equipment and belongs, the better when you’re trekking or horse riding during your outdoors adventure as less stuff would give you better space for enjoying the nature.
Medicine probabaly required~~
Cold removal medicine(anti-fever, antiphlogistic drug, antibiotic drugs, etc.), traumatic, highland prevention medicine, stomach care medicines, some Vitamins.
Notes after arrival at highland area~~
Most places at Sichuan’s Ganzi, Aba, Lianshan minorities Autonomous regions are located at elevation of over 3000 meters, where 30% less oxygen and lower barometric pressure than the plain area is always the inducement for altitude striss. And, it is dryer in highland area than that in plain areas. Most people have some slight symptoms like a stuffy feeling in the chest, short breath, difficult breath, etc. and some would suffer headache, muscle pain or insomnia but it would recover automatically after 1 or 2 days. Remember always that act, dine, drink in a different, slow and appropriate way as in plain area would ensure your good feel during the travelling. Try low altitude first and then higher is the best approach to ensure a pleasant journey. Take more vegetables, drink more water, smoking and alcohol drinking is not recommended. Always keep your body warm as cold, diarrhea are quite big problems in highland in Tibetan areas.In case of highland reaction, rest without move and drinking more water if the best for those who are slightly suffered and it would recover soon. For those who have insomnia, some highland Tibetan medicine is best way. For those who are seriously suffered, stay in the hospital would finally work. Oxygen-aid is the last way for rescue so it is not recommended to apply during the automatic accommodation of the body to the environment.
Some taboos in Tibetan areas~~
1. Tibetans never eat meat of donkey, horses or dogs. Fish is not eaten either in some areas.
2. Dine in a polite and silent way. Accept the toasting or food provision like buttered tea with both hands to show respect. Never spit or clap behind the others.
3. Take a round trip from left to the right when passing any religious facility like temple, Nima piles, Stupa, etc. Never pick up Nima stone, or sit on the Nima pile. Never step across the fire pan or a Buddhist musical instrument. The Buddhism scripture wheels or the scripture hand-drum are only allow to rotate in the right direction.
4. Overlap your palm near your heart and bow your head slightly is far better than hugging or hand-shaking in terms of the meeting etiquettes.
5. Never try to ask a Lama (monk in Lamasery)questions like marriage, dining habits.6. Keep quite always in religious temples and never point at any Buddha figure.