5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
hoopkeel

5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

by hoopkeel » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:14 pm

I currently live in Indiana and I am planning a trip back to Gore Range in mid July with my two sons (14 and 15). I was considering starting at the Gore Creek trail head and hiking for five days. I am planning on hiking to Gore Lake, Snow Lake, Red Buffalo Pass, summit Red Peak, then hike out on Eccles Pass and Meadow Creek Trail to the Meadow Creek Trailhead. I have only been to the Gore Range once and didn't have time to go beyond Gore Lake. I am just wondering if this route is my best option for the time I have or if there is a better / more scenic route I should consider taking. I just want this trip to be special for my sons and want to get the most out of our time. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: 5 Day Gore Mountain Range hike

by Scott » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:32 am

Sounds like a good route. It wouldn't take five days for that route though unless you did a lot of side trips along the way, so you may want to add some more peaks to your plan.

I don't know what the current situation is, but last time I was at Gore Creek, the campground there was closed to tents and you had to have a hard shelled camper to camp there because of bear problems. Be aware of this if you are planning on camping near the trailhead (in the backcountry, it shouldn't pose any problem at all).

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 pm

3 days would be sufficient except you use the lakes as base camp to do more climbs - why not hike up first to Deluge Lake - cross the pass over to Snow Lake and from there hike on to Gore Lake , would add a bit of distance- was up at Snow Lake years ago but there wasn't a real trail down (or up -or I missed it.....) -so that will add to the fun

The following user would like to thank Niederbayer for this post
hoopkeel

no avatar
hoopkeel

by hoopkeel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Deludge Lake. I have not been there and wasn't sure if there was a pass over to Snow lake or not. I will study my topo and consider it.

Return to Colorado