Bear Creek Spire Thievery

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lefty

Bear Creek Spire Thievery

by lefty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 am

My climbing partner and I had a rude surprise on Sunday after summiting Bear Creek Spire via the Ulrich's route. we returned to Cox Col where we had left our ice axes and crampons and found that they had been taken by someone while we were summiting.

We had only seen on one other pair of climbers in the area that day and I have reason to believe they were not the culprits because the thief left a long, heavy, homemade looking wooden hiking pole in place of our gear.These other climbers had trekking poles. This item also leads me to believe that the thief was not out there climbing a technical route because it would make no sense to climb with such an impractical hiking pole. I decided to carry the pole out.
100_9664.JPG
100_9664.JPG (785.71 KiB) Viewed 4848 times

If you know someone who hikes with a big heavy pole and was in the Little Lakes or Lake Italy area over the weekend I would like to find this person.

So now I'm left wondering why someone would do such a thing and leave us to have to descend the mountain without our safety equipment. If anyone out there hears of someone trying to sell a BD Raven or BD Raven Pro ice axe or a new pair BD Contact crampons with the REI used gear "X" on them or a pair of Petzl strap-on crampons with an OR crampon bag, I would appreciate it it if you left me know.

Baarb

Re: Bear Creek Spire Thievery

by Baarb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 am

Sorry to hear that, hope you can reintroduce them to that pole in some imaginative fashion. Wonder if there might be any fingerprints or DNA on it. There was another post recently about gear going missing in the Sierras, though can't seem to find it in the forums atm. Good luck with your situation.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 am

Unbelievable! :evil:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Baarb wrote:There was another post recently about gear going missing in the Sierras, though can't seem to find it in the forums atm.

The thread was removed at the request of the person who started it. He said the victims of the theft preferred it gone. However, I think the OP here is the one the thread referred to, and if he wishes, I can restore that thread or merge it with this one.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

thegib

by thegib » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:01 pm

It's so much more than mere theft - at the least it's reckless disregard for human life - a very serious crime. May the idiot wisen up.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:56 am

I agree - so much more than theft - the person that took the gear must not have a conscience.

So, this has happened on a couple occasions recently? Has it been in the same area?

no avatar
Peakdancer

by Peakdancer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I anyone left a different ice axe near BCS probably on 27/28 Jun, let me know. Note this was NOT the one referred to in this post and in very different circumstances. Let me know what you used it for, what make and where you left it and I'll get it back to you.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm

The older thread referred to the same crime. I asked that the old thread be removed, at Lefty's request, as I had some details wrong-- like the assumption that the thieves must be climbers.

The fact that BOTH sets of crampons and axes were taken, makes me suspect the thief is either trying to sell them in a pawn shop or on-line.

We had trekking poles stolen from the base of Half Dome cables; the poles had been slightly hidden, but the thieves had seen the hiding process. After we got back down the cables and saw the poles missing, one of our party ran down, and found a scared couple (from Korea) with the poles. Apparently the Korean women wasn't sure she could make it back down without some help. The couple had seen all the gloves left at the base of the cables, and rationalized that the poles were for the taking as well. Or so they said.

This isn't really a new thing. In 1971, we came back from Long's Peak to Chasm Lake, and found that a fancy Holubar sleeping bag had been stolen. My bag was so crappy by comparison, that it was left behind.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:47 am

Had a couple of clients then a close buddy the day after, I was taking up the Right Couloir of N Peak some eight or so years ago. I left my rope, pons, tools, harness and rack stashed near the base of Left Couloir as I was returning the following day after guiding the two clients, to climb all three with one of my local Eastside buddies.

Returned early the next morning to see a crew of two older farts on the 1st P of the Left Couloir. One dude was wearing my harness, the other using my Pons and Tools and they were tied into my rope and took my rack to boot.

Well, their day instantly turned into a living nightmare. Screamed at em to get their asses down now or I would come up and tear them a new you know what for taking my shit. They came down. Got my stuff back and I then proceeded to chase them thieving fks off the hill. Told em if I ever saw them again, I would plant a tool in both of their foreheads.

Frkn thieves in the hills. They aint no climbers. Real Climbers don't jack other climbers gear. That has been an unwritten golden rule since day one back in the century before the last.

WML

by WML » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:38 pm

A5RP wrote:Had a couple of clients then a close buddy the day after, I was taking up the Right Couloir of N Peak some eight or so years ago. I left my rope, pons, tools, harness and rack stashed near the base of Left Couloir as I was returning the following day after guiding the two clients, to climb all three with one of my local Eastside buddies.

Returned early the next morning to see a crew of two older farts on the 1st P of the Left Couloir. One dude was wearing my harness, the other using my Pons and Tools and they were tied into my rope and took my rack to boot.

Well, their day instantly turned into a living nightmare. Screamed at em to get their asses down now or I would come up and tear them a new you know what for taking my shit. They came down. Got my stuff back and I then proceeded to chase them thieving fks off the hill. Told em if I ever saw them again, I would plant a tool in both of their foreheads.

Frkn thieves in the hills. They aint no climbers. Real Climbers don't jack other climbers gear. That has been an unwritten golden rule since day one back in the century before the last.

Chief, is that you?

colinr

by colinr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 pm

WML wrote:Chief, is that you?
:lol:
Shhhhh! 8)

I thought the exact same thing you ended up posting. It probably helped jog my memory that I drove down US 6 last week, then to near the end of White Mountain Road, and later had some fun talking with a former SAR guy while my muffler was being repaired on the north end of Bishop. I missed out on White Mountain Peak (again), but did get some unplanned scrambling in around Agassiz and Winchell....saw a chopper carry someone out and gave a ride to the rest of the party the next morning (they were PCT hikers).

Thieves suck. I've been lucky so far. I've never understood the big, heavy hiking stick concept. I saw lots of them on the 4 mile & Panorama trails yesterday in YNP (my attempt at escaping the zoo below). Maybe the thieves figured out there are more useful and valuable tools.

An epic battle and chase with large sticks and ice axes could have been fun. The stick could have been used to regain the tools and then the rest would have been left to the desired level of mercy (or lack thereof). That is one reason the stick was brought along. No?

ROL

by ROL » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm sure nearly everyone can sympathize with the OP on his loss, as we've all had similar experiences. Being the innocent victim of theft is never pleasant, but the outright venomous nature of some of the responses is almost as discouraging as the loss itself. So I offer this story on loss, though obviously not on the scale of risk as the OP, in respectful equanimity.

Back in the last century, when my wife (then GF) and I were still in college, we were readying to leave for a week of climbing in the Palisades, when we received a call from our ride requesting directions to our pickup. My wife put her loaded pack out on the lawn in front of our apartment to mark our location. Within minutes it was gone, as was my beloved REI down sweater, loaned to her for the occasion – and also the Chuckles, two 1lb. bags of candy. The other trip members quickly pitched in to get her going again with necessary equipment and the outing was salvaged completely ...except for the Chuckles. When recounting this tale of woe we always add, "...and the Chuckles!", to the utter bemusement of any sane listener. Any question as to what my wife's nickname has been ever since?

Chuckles at Sam Mack Meadow
Last edited by ROL on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55 pm

D
Last edited by colinr on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 pm

ROL wrote:I'm sure nearly everyone can sympathize with the OP on his loss, as we've all had similar experiences. Being the innocent victim of theft is never pleasant, but the outright venomous nature of some of the responses is almost as discouraging as the loss itself. So I offer this story on loss, though obviously not on the scale of risk as the OP, in respectful equanimity.

Back in the last century, when my wife (then GF) and I were still in college, we were readying to leave for a week of climbing in the Palisades, when we received a call from our ride requesting directions to our pickup. My wife put her loaded pack out on the lawn in front of our apartment to mark our location. Within minutes it was gone, as was my beloved REI down sweater, loaned to her for the occasion – and also the Chuckles, two 1lb. bags of candy. The other trip members quickly pitched in to get her going again with necessary equipment and the outing was salvaged completely ...except for the Chuckles. When recalling the theft we always add, "...and the Chuckles!", to the utter bemusement of any sane listener. Any question as to what my wife's nickname has been ever since?

Chuckles at Sam Mack Meadow

First paragraph: Why so serious? Speaking for myself, we were kidding and sharing thoughts that probably crossed the minds of many. Steve1215? Well, he's got issues.

Second paragraph and picture: Right on. Easy come; easy go. Peace.

Larry, play us a song, will ya?

ROL

by ROL » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 pm

SeanReedy wrote:First paragraph: Why so serious? Speaking for myself, we were kidding and sharing thoughts that probably crossed the minds of many. Steve1215? Well, he's got issues.

Second paragraph and picture: Right on. Easy come; easy go. Peace.

Larry, play us a song, will ya?

Lighten up bud. Why parse? Why so defensive? Nobody was singled out. I was setting up the story. Please feel free to apply Post-Its over the first paragraph on your screen if you find it offensive. Yeah... somebody got issues alright. Just trying to lighten the mood. I give up – you win.

Next

Return to California