Fremont Peak Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
midwestcoast

Fremont Peak Conditions

by midwestcoast » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Anybody know about snow/bug conditions from Elkhart Park towards Fremont Pk. ?

no avatar
splattski

Re: Fremont Peak Conditions

by splattski » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 pm

If I was going right now, I would assume they are so thick that you can't breathe without eating them. That's how they were at end of June when we were there.
This is prime time. Don't mess around with bug spray. Plan on staying completely covered and take a mosquito net hat.

If I am wrong, you will have been extremely lucky.

midwestcoast

by midwestcoast » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:22 am

Yeah, my plans have probably changed now.

I received this email from ranger at the Pinedale District regarding conditions, just thought I'd share if anybody else was wondering.

"Amazingly enough there is still a bit of snow in the areas you inquired about.
Leaving the Elkhart Park trailhead you run into snow between Barbara and Hobbs Lakes, last report of earlier
this week was it was very tough going through there as there were 3 foot drifts.
Island Lake was frozen and above there in the Titcomb Basin area, everything was still frozen with 1 1/2 to 2 feet of snow on the level.

We have had high temps during the days so I would think things would be melting, but how much I can't tell you at
this time. "

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:38 am

I don't know because I haven't been in there this year, but that does not sound right. We were in there in 2010 when there was still snow on the ground. I put a screen shot of the Hobbs Park weather station in my trip report here:
http://www.splattski.com/2010/gannett/index.html

And here's the Hobbs Park station today:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl- ... 7&state=wy

Draw your own inferences.

phatty

by phatty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:26 pm

It was a normal winter in the Wind river range. Of course there is still snow up there, usually till mid-late july on a normal winter. There is a huge fire across the valley in the Wyoming range that has the entire winds covered under smoke. Visibility is poor at best.

Trailboss88

by Trailboss88 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:29 am

I'm going up the trail on Friday-Sunday with my brother. I'll let you know how it went when I get back.

seano

by seano » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 pm

I did Gannett from Elkhart yesterday. The bugs are fine if you don't stop. They seemed bad from the trailhead to Island Lake, but not in Titcomb Basin. The trail is pretty boggy, and there's a fair amount of snow hanging around in the basin, but there are dry campsites, and it's all manageable.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)