Boot Suggestions

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
VincePoore

Re: Boot Suggestions

by VincePoore » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 am

I purchased some Vetta Lites in 2009 when they first came out. I liked them because they were extremely light and comfortable, yet grippy for the talus slopes involved in almost any climb of the Montana Beartooths. However, the multi-piece suede leather uppers are not very durable. While on a climb 3 months after purchase, the stitching on the lowest piece began ripping out on both shoes. That was September and I guess they were pretty popular the summer of 2009 because Garmont customer service told my retailer a replacement pair would be unavailable until 2010.

So I got a replacement pair in February 2010, but I just got back from my second climb of 2012 and the stitching on both shoes has ripped in the same place again. On this climb I had to traverse several low angle snow fields and the leather got saturated. Combine that with the stresses of talus hopping and it was just too much for them. If you have these, it might be worth treating the leather with sno-seal to head off the saturation. I wish I had done that.

I stumbled upon newer versions at garmont.com but at first did not realize this was the site for the European market.
Vetta Lite GTX
Vetta MNT GTX
Vetta MNT Plus GTX

I feel like I want the Vetta MNT because the 360 rubber rand should solve the durability problem of the Vetta Lite. So I used the contact form at garmontusa.com to see if these were coming to North America anytime soon. It turns out there are no plans for the Vetta MNT Plus, but the Vetta MNT should be available in 2013. Decisions, decisions...

Previous

Return to Gear