McGee Creek TH access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Kahuna

Re: McGee Creek TH access

by Kahuna » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 pm

As long as you have the standard OAE Truck clearance you should be fine w/2wd.

If you take the standard route via Buttermilk Rd, it is gonna be real rough and terribly bouncy. The alternate access up off of 168 heading up to Aspendale/Sabrina etc is much less traveled and not as harsh as the BMilk way. (PM me and I can give more specific instructions on how to access this alternate route).

Alois can attest to this.

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Rick is right, you can get there from 168 with just high clearance. I drove Toyota Rav4 with no problems. Get driving directions from Rick or I can provide them too. Wonderful spots to camp along the creek.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I had provided those alternate directions to Craig Peer for the SP Humphreys page. See the section where following "Craig Peer adds".

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:43 am

The road up from the buttermilks is rough, but I've seen some kind of Mazda sport wagon make it to the stream crossing in the trees. Anyone familiar with that road knows how much torment that poor car must've gone through. Clearance is indeed the main issue, you should be able to make it up just fine in a 2WD truck.

I would also recommend going in from the upper entrance. Its much quicker, though the first quarter mile is particularly heinous. The roads up there are actually all signed pretty well with carsonite posts based on the Forest Services naming system. This means pretty much nothing without the free map that you can get at the visitors center though. Might be worth picking up one of those (ask for an NVUM as well as a CTUC map).

Return to California