Glacier peak updated info?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
mcpherma

Glacier peak updated info?

by mcpherma » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I am looking for some new or at least recent info on Glacier Peak. The main page and route pages seem vague or are outdated. Mostly I am trying to figure out how much time to alot for a trip up one of the glacers on the west side, and how close to a trail head I am really going to get. Anyone been up there recently?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Glacier peak updated info?

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 pm

No roads or bridges have been replaced or repaired since they were washed out to my knowledge. There are wilderness protection groups advocating these bridges and roads never be repaired. This was the las trip report I've seen, from 11 mothns ago, not that there have not been more recent ones. http://kurthicks.com/2011/08/14/glacier ... e-volcano/

mcpherma

by mcpherma » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that there was a 2 or 2.5 day route, but it just doesn't seem that way. Looks like I should keep it 3+ days and enjoy it.

Havve you been up EB? I am guessing Glacier doesn't get the love it should. Almost like the redheaded stepchild of the Cascades. I have been trying to make a trip in for a couple years but just never seems to pan out.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:10 am

Shortest Route. 2 options

1) Little Wenatche trailhead 3000 feet and a lot of miles via the southern approach.
1a) Sauk River approach, I belive the road was fixed, but could be wrong. If so take bikes for the washed out road and hike into Glacier via White pass instead of Little Wenatche. Trade miles for elevation. Same route, south ridge Glacier Peak.

2) Take bikes. Take old road up to old trail head and hoof up the west side in 2 days. Better be in shape as its a good 9500 feet elevation gain. =)

Erm Longer options: Park at Chiwawa river trail head, hike over buck creek pass, descend open forest or find the ancient trail that used to exist(GL), cross the head of the suittle river, hike up easy open forest slopes to the Chocolate glacier, summit and return. Could do the chocolate glacier route via 1) and 1a) where one traverses Glacier peak and its??? mind blank ??? glacier on its SE

Either way, its hecka long.

If no snow on trails, super runners do glacier in a day even with the extended mileage.

The following user would like to thank Wastral for this post
mcpherma

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I went up Glacier Peak via Kennedy Hotsprings/Sitkum Glacier about 15 years ago. Compared to Rainier or Baker or Shuksan the climbing is not esspecially interesting, but has a definite wilderness feel. I think Frostbite Ridge is supposed to be more interesting.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 am

My girlfriend is supposed to be going up there with some Mazamas later in July, via Cool Glacier (east side). Can relay relevant info when they get back, if you'd like.

no avatar
NWclimberguy

by NWclimberguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 am

I bet you've seen this by now, but check out both of these trip reports from the last week:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=1075415
http://www.stephabegg.com/home/triprepo ... es/glacier

Sounds like a 3-day trip is doable if you're in shape. GP has been on my mind for a while now and with these recent reports, I think we'll try from the E side as well.

mcpherma

by mcpherma » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info.The remoteness is what has drawn my interest, so methinks a feww days to enjoy it would be propper.

AlexeyD I would love to hear back on your girlfriend's trip, sounds like she will likely be making it up there before I do.

NWclimberguy, thanks for the links, I had seen the first one but not the second.

Wastral, great info, I had seen other reports where people took their bikes in, I may have to try this if for no other reason than to put aonther spin on the trip (pun poor, but intended).

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 pm

I admit I need to add more to the standard route information:
http://www.summitpost.org/glacier-peak/150318#chapter_6
I got side tracked with other projects. :wink: Glacier Peak is/ or was commonly accessed from the North Fork Sauk which I loved this peak so much that I climbed it twice. :) The maps on the page were to give you a good idea of the route. But now that I'm reminded I'll have to give the Glacier Peak page another over haul fix. 8)

According to the National Forest website they predict the road to be opened by Mid-August which you can scroll down to "North Fork Sauk" which it will tell you as seen here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/alert ... rdb5150593

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
mcpherma

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 am

FWIW, here's a recent trip report from Lou Dawson of Wildsnow posted July 24, 2012:
http://www.wildsnow.com/7866/glacier-peak-ski-climb-washington/
I'll be over there next month for a summit shot and will add my two cents when I get back. :)

mcpherma

by mcpherma » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Josh, Thanks. The main page is really nice and to be honest, I am not sure how I missed the lower half, must be ADD - squirrel! I have read several TR's and can't tell what should be a minimum time frame for a slacker such as myself. Five miles can be very different from one terrain to the next. I have decided there two options: 1. Allow several days and enjoy it, or 2. Use my regular days off, get as far as I can and enjoy it. My theory is that any day in the mountains is a good day.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 am

Most people can comfortably climb this mountain in 3 days. If your wanting to take your sweet time you could do it in 4. If you speedy you can do it in 2. And very in shape trail runners can do it in 1! :shock: :) It's definitely more work than Rainier, but doesn't take much longer.
(As for the page, I have so many climbs right now I don't have time to add more) :( :D

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Don't know if this is still relevant, but here's a link to a TR of the Mazama GP climb I was talking about:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1078229/TR_Glacier_Peak_Cool_Glacier_8#Post1078229

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)