Swearing technique

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
Linnea

Re: Swearing technique

by Linnea » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:44 am

I realize this thread is for fun, but it reminded me of something somebody told me once. He said when you are walking in the woods and start to fall, if you yell something out suddenly your ab muscles will tighten which will engage your core and may keep you from an all out fall. He called it "Cursing your fall."
That being said whenever I fall and cuss about it is the moment someone comes around the switchback and sees me, no matter how deserted the area has been for the entire day or how graceful I have been up to that point.

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:12 am

For those who don't speak English as a first language, I highly recommend reading English as a Second F*cking Language: How to Swear Effectively, Explained in Detail with Numerous Examples Taken From Everyday Life

Even for native speakers it's pretty interesting from a linguistic perspective :-)

Watching British sitcoms seems to have helped with my cursing/insult-hurling creativity as well. Black Adder & Red Dwarf especially

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
Arthur Digbee

PellucidWombat

by PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:10 am

Fletch wrote:
PellucidWombat wrote:Watching British sitcoms seems to have helped with my cursing/insult-hurling creativity as well.

Im not sure you're on the better end of the deal here... :?

There is always the suspicion that people are laughing at me more than they are laughing with me :wink:

Kai

by Kai » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:59 pm

My wife has said that one of the reasons she doesn't want me to die while climbing, is that she doesn't want my last word in life to be "SHIIIITTTTT"

The following user would like to thank Kai for this post
Arthur Digbee, CSUMarmot

POLUKO

by POLUKO » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:51 am

You can't go wrong with Carlin's seven but I usually add fart, turd, and something that rhymes with what.

Also a catchy Blink-182 song called family reunion. Probably their best.

It took some strength to not just type them all out since anyone who comes to this thread should be able to handle reading them but...you never know what goes on in this wacky world.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 am

Why hasn't sjarelkwint gotten wind of this thread yet? This sh*t is right up his backdoor!

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 pm

This sh*t is right up his backdoor!
:shock:

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:52 am

J F C...I'm sure you can figure it out.

What can I say...born and raised Catholic...and have a horrible potty mouth.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 am

If I die in a fall, I want my last words to be "CLINT EASTWOOD FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" --splat.
If I get hit by lightning, I hope my last words are something defiant and proud. Just to be an asshole, one last time.

For non-fatal mis-steps, I usually just mutter "whoa SHIT" to myself. And in my head I think 'that was stupid chris you're gonna snap an ankle on class 2 crap and have to crawl out before succumbing to the elements or accidentally eat poisonous berries. Thats not gonna get you in the newspaper.'
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Jow

by Jow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 pm

When I hiked Mt Washington in winter i wasn't in nearly good enough shape so my legs were burning. once the towers on summit were in view in my head i kept cursing them out like they were some enemy i was about to fight or had just beat up or whatever. The meaner or more heinous my insults towards those towers the more I felt it took my mind off my dead legs, freezing wind, etc.

sixfingers

by sixfingers » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Dropped a $5000 project last night....caught it just before hitting the floor of the shop but still felt a need to reflect on the event with a full exploration of my vocab. For fu(ks sake let it out!

Swearing Like a Sailor May Alleviate Pain

Although the news probably won't stop parents from washing kids' mouths out with soap, it turns out that cussing a blue streak may be a good thing. A study appearing in the August 5 NeuroReport suggests that four-letter words may help alleviate pain.

http://www.americanscientist.org/science/content1/7129

TimB

by TimB » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Unfortunately, my swearing 'technique' is highly developed.
Mostly when I am by myself and I screw something up. I am pretty good about 'keeping a lid on it' when I am around other folks.
Discretion or hypocrisy-not sure which?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 pm

I climbed with a shiny young man who never swore instead falling back to "cheese and rice". I've always liked "fuck sox", of Christopher Moore fame.

Previous

Return to Technique and Training