want light stiff-soled boots WITHOUT goretex

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

want light stiff-soled boots WITHOUT goretex

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 am

I finally got Garmont Vetta hike boots, still looking for the holy grail of LIGHT (say 2.5 lbs) boots that offer enough support for boulder-hopping, and have soles that will take rigid crampons yet are good enough for class 4 rock. The Vetta hikes do OK in the stiffness department, and allow me to ascend moderate snow slopes with strap-on crampons and some confidence. The soles are definitely not very sticky, but not too bad.

But they have goretex liners. After a hard day, my feet are wet with their own sweat, even if I change socks a few times.

Does anyone make light, stiff-soled boots that do NOT have goretex liners? My boots tend to get wet only when I am on snow, and I can use berghaus-type over-the-boot (but not sole) gaiters for that situation.

It seems to me that goretex in leather/fabric boots is highly over-rated -- but every manufacturer is using it these days.

jdzaharia

Re: want light stiff-soled boots WITHOUT goretex

by jdzaharia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Asolo used to make some non-Gore-Tex boots, but I don't see the models I'm thinking of on their site, anymore.

I think the FSN 85 was non-Gore-Tex

I have a pair of Fugitives that I like, except for the Gore-Tex. The soles are pretty stiff. Not sure if they tip the scales under 2.5 lbs, though.

Looks like you can still get the non-Gore-Tex models through Sierra Trading Post. The Echo model has the same soles as my Fugitive model.

I think the Asolos with their proprietary sole are stiffer than the ones with a Vibram sole.

TimB

by TimB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:01 pm

MoapaPk wrote:I finally got Garmont Vetta hike boots, still looking for the holy grail of LIGHT (say 2.5 lbs) boots that offer enough support for boulder-hopping, and have soles that will take rigid crampons yet are good enough for class 4 rock. The Vetta hikes do OK in the stiffness department, and allow me to ascend moderate snow slopes with strap-on crampons and some confidence. The soles are definitely not very sticky, but not too bad.

But they have goretex liners. After a hard day, my feet are wet with their own sweat, even if I change socks a few times.

Does anyone make light, stiff-soled boots that do NOT have goretex liners? My boots tend to get wet only when I am on snow, and I can use berghaus-type over-the-boot (but not sole) gaiters for that situation.

It seems to me that goretex in leather/fabric boots is highly over-rated -- but every manufacturer is using it these days.

Just a thought here, Moapa; but have you ever tried antiperspirant on your feet? My feet sweat like crazy and using ap on them has really helped with keeping my feet/socks/boots dry.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 pm

TimB wrote:Just a thought here, Moapa; but have you ever tried antiperspirant on your feet? My feet sweat like crazy and using ap on them has really helped with keeping my feet/socks/boots dry.

Yes, and it helps sometimes (I use the strong stuff, like Mitchum). But on multi-day trips, in bear country, I'm hesitant to use it. Even the "scentless" stuff smells sweet.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Yo Moapa!

Three words... This stuff Works!

As far as your original question, these have been very productive for some of our clients with the same issue you have regarding G-Tex:
Asolo Echo Hikers

TimB

by TimB » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
TimB wrote:Just a thought here, Moapa; but have you ever tried antiperspirant on your feet? My feet sweat like crazy and using ap on them has really helped with keeping my feet/socks/boots dry.

Yes, and it helps sometimes (I use the strong stuff, like Mitchum). But on multi-day trips, in bear country, I'm hesitant to use it. Even the "scentless" stuff smells sweet.

I see. I tend to forget that you folks are in 'Blackie' country down that way and have to take some precautions that I don't in my area. We do have a few black bears, but you almost never see them.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks all. I wish I could grab a pair of the echo hikers and bend the soles!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:36 am

MoapaPk wrote:It seems to me that goretex in leather/fabric boots is highly over-rated -- but every manufacturer is using it these days.

I agree and am surprised at the number of people who think laminate membranes in footwear are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Andrew Rankine

by Andrew Rankine » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:52 am

I would look for something with eVent liner, it is more breathable than Gore-Tex. For example, my last pair of soccer cleats, Nike T90 Lasers, had eVent in them and were still pretty comfortable and breathable...and that is playing soccer on artificial turf in Arizona.
The issue, as I have heard it, is that manufacturers made long-term contracts with Gore-Tex, so they still have to keep using it. But, here are some brands that use eVent:

http://www.eventfabrics.com/find_eVent.php

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:45 am

Let me know when you find something, I hate goretex lined boots.

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:21 pm

I've only had them a few weeks, but so far I love the Patagonia AC Drifter. Non-goretex, and the sole is surprisingly rigid. I replaced the factory insoles with a pair of Sole Softec Ultras.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/men ... 9668-0-493

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 pm

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:11 am

Nitrox wrote:This doesn't solve the Gore-tex issue but have you tried the Salewa boots?

http://www.salewa.us/product/mountaineering/ms-rapace-gtx

http://www.salewa.us/product/mountaineering/ms-mtn-trainer-mid-gtx-1

Thanks, a friend wore the rapace on the very same trip. They seemed to work well, except he was getting blisters (but he always gets blisters). Apart from Gore-Tex, they look very good.

Maybe I'll bite the teflon bullet and just change my socks 4 times a day. But I saw a review that called the rapace "the most breathable winter boots I've ever used. "

The ad says the rapace "insulates"... ?

The weight is a little puzzling. The ad puts the rapace at 0.660*2*2.2= ~2.9 lbs/pair, but I saw a review that put them at 3.7 lbs/pair.

Update: just found this review:
http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/s ... ing-boots/
Which suggests the lower weight is pretty accurate.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Heard some good things about this NON G-TEX boot as well.

Mammut Mercury Advanced LTH

no avatar
Nitrox

by Nitrox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 am

I tried on the Salewa but they don't fit the shape of my small toes. I said screw it and bought another pair of Trango S.

I have a pair of Asolo FSN85, they are not stiff at all. Neither are the FSN95 or other Asolo light hikers like Fugitives. I was going to suggest Kayland but it looks like they switched from Event to Gore-Tex

Next

Return to Gear