Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby GEM Trail » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I am especially excited about that Hatfield Museum. The idea of that Hatfield lady at the bottom of the hill with her museum and her gravestone business and her dead relatives buried above her- it sounds Gothic, or Shakespearean.

To change topics, I thought it might be nice to expand the thread a little with more travel info.

Every highpointer does a lot of traveling to the same places. So I'd like to invite anyone to share more info on not just the climbs themselves but other attractions, great campsites, etc. We might as well make this thread as useful as possible!
GEM Trail

Postby Catamount » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 am

:D :D :D

Very happy to report that my mountain-trip-of-a-lifetime has ended on a positive note. Successfully summited Granite Peak around 10 AM Monday morning with Jackson Hole Mountain Guides and an absolutely fantastic group of 4 other clients, all of whom were highpointers! Including myself, 4 clients had 40-plus highpoints and the other of whom I had just bagged Gannett with the week before.

Great trip all around and one of the coolest things I've ever done!! :)

48 HPS down; only Hood and Denali remain. But, for now, I'm tired and it's time to go home. Cheers.
Last edited by Catamount on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
Alpinist, Holsti97

Postby Alpinist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Well done Catamount! Congrats on a successful trip!
Alpinist

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Catamount

Postby Bark Eater » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Great job, Catamount. What a successful and fun summer!
Bark Eater

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the cyber pats on the back. After a nearly three-year dry spell with no new highpoints, it really was great to break out of my slump in a big way. It will likely take awhile for the results of this trip to completely sink in.

Wishing success to all on your own continuing Highpointing adventures. :)
Catamount

Postby IagosGhost » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

My family (wife and 6 kids ranging in age from 12 years to seven months old) and I hiked to the summit of Harney Peak last week via trail # 9! No one had any trouble except for the four year old. She made it 1 1/2 miles before she could go no further. My wife carried her the rest of the way up, and I carried her all the way down in a child carrier. HP #7 for me!
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
IagosGhost

Postby Catamount » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 am

Nice job, IagosGhost. Harney Peak is a really fun mountain and it's cool that you had your entire family there to enjoy it with you.
Catamount

Postby GEM Trail » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 am

Congratulations Catamount and Iagosghost! :D So Catamount, can you tell us about SW Couloir? And how many highpoints are you up to now?

Last weekend Cypress and I did Kentucky and Virginia.

Kentucky was as advertised; very uninspiring in its present form. This is one of many highpoints that would really benefit from tourism- and outdoor recreation- related development. We did find two really cool things to do in Cumberland, the nearest town west of the highpoint- the coal museum and the Poor Fork Arts and Crafts collective.

Virginia was unbelievable. I did not realize how great this hike was going to be! Big views the whole way and we ran into two batches of wild ponies. They let us feed them grass and pet them. Add in the atmosphere at the campground, the AT, nearby Damascus, and it was one of the very best highpoints. It could never be my favorite because it was just too easy, but maybe the best ever to get a beginner into highpointing.

I am up to 24 now, and Junior and I have done 19 together. This has been our best year ever!
GEM Trail

Postby Catamount » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Glad you had a great trip GEM Trail. One more highpoint and you'll be eligible for the 25-state completer pin. Of the pins I have, I think it's the coolest of the bunch.

Can't tell you anything about the SW couloir since I didn't go that way. Took the traditional FTD plateau route. For good information, check out musicman82's recent TR. Really well-done report.

48 HPs, by the way. Purists can throw an asterisk on Rainier if they want since I didn't tag Columbia Crest. Hood and Denali are all I have left. :)
Catamount

Postby Jow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:15 pm

I forgot about the pin, if i successfully bag Humphrey's in September I may just put in for it, class up my book bag
Jow

Postby sm0421 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:03 am

Jow, Humphrey is easier than Elbert, 100% sure.
sm0421

Postby Bark Eater » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I climbed Humphrey's back in 2009. As I was approaching the ridge there were two female voices continually gaining on me from behind. Two women trail runners caught me at the ridgeline, running uphill at 12K feet in non-stop, full conversation. Made me feel inadequate :-)
Bark Eater

Postby Alpinist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Catamount wrote:Glad you had a great trip GEM Trail. One more highpoint and you'll be eligible for the 25-state completer pin. Of the pins I have, I think it's the coolest of the bunch.

Can't tell you anything about the SW couloir since I didn't go that way. Took the traditional FTD plateau route. For good information, check out musicman82's recent TR. Really well-done report.

48 HPs, by the way. Purists can throw an asterisk on Rainier if they want since I didn't tag Columbia Crest. Hood and Denali are all I have left. :)

Catamount - I respect your accomplishments but I don't see how you can count Rainier when you didn't reach the true summit. Call me a purist I guess but there's only 1 highest point and you're either on it or you're not. Would you count Denali if you turned back at the Football Field, or Mt Hood if you turned back at the Pearly Gates? Sorry for being such a downer after what you accomplished during your trip. You accompished a lot by any measure.

Maybe we can climb Rainier together someday. I plan to go back and climb it unguided so that I can claim doing all of the state highpoints unguided. After all, you have to go back to climb Mt Hood right? It's just down the road... :)
Alpinist

Postby Jow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 pm

question regarding Alpinist point. when you go with a guided group do they typically stop prior to the true summit?
Jow

Postby Alpinist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:52 pm

I climbed with RMI in 2001. They split the group inside the crater. Out of 19 people, only myself and a buddy opted to climb the western rim. Everyone else rested. It took us about 30 mins or so... You should confirm that with your guide service before going though.
Alpinist

PreviousNext

Return to General