Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

2012 Sierra Challenge Aug 10-19

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: 2012 Sierra Challenge Aug 10-19

Postby toxo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:02 am

nellis wrote:I doubt he's done 10000 feet since January 1. How bout it Marmaduke?

That is rich. He is a good friend of mine and I know he has done many, many times that. Also, I love it when people like Marm who barely get out narc on the trolls who actually hike and climb orders of magnitude more than him.

Sorry to fag up your thread, Burdman. As always, reading your adventures is a real pleasure. Although I could not make it this time, I would love to join the Challenge next year.
toxo

Postby Bob Burd » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 am

TinOmen wrote:Also, I love it when people like Marm who barely get out narc on the trolls who actually hike and climb orders of magnitude more than him.

I don't really see how it matters how much one climbs. A troll is a troll, and in this case, not a very good one. Having an outstanding climbing resume doesn't give one a free pass. I wasn't the one to clean up the thread and don't know who did, I was happy to simply ignore him. So it goes. Come out and join us next year toxo - I'm sure you'd have fun.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby toxo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 am

Bob Burd wrote:I don't really see how it matters how much one climbs. A troll is a troll, and in this case, not a very good one. Having an outstanding climbing resume doesn't give one a free pass. I wasn't the one to clean up the thread and don't know who did, I was happy to simply ignore him. So it goes. Come out and join us next year toxo - I'm sure you'd have fun.

He is a much better troll IRL when he gets going. He has some really retarded and annoying hippie/broscience/anti-actual science shit that he keeps on spewing. Oh and, of course I knew you weren't the one who terminated him.

I'll plan and prepare better to be there (at least for part of the time) next year.

Love,

-toxo
toxo

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:53 am

-

-
jesu, joy of man's desiring

Postby Vitaliy M. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:06 am

Lol..toxo and sierra challenge. That's a good one. Maybe squishy is also participating?
Vitaliy M.

Postby butitsadryheat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:49 pm

does he have anyone to climb with anymore?

BSHC1(Bishop Pass) recorded 2.3" of precip between 1245 and 1400 yesterday.

:o :shock:

Dayum!
butitsadryheat

Postby toxo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Careful, guise. You don't want to become recipients of incoherent and demented threats.
toxo

Postby kevin trieu » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:21 am

Bob, Jonathan found the summit register inside a bandage box buried underneath some stones placed there by Carl Heller in 1962. The peak has seen about two dozen visitors in the past 50 years. There was a gap of about 15 years where nobody climbed the peak. Tom took a few pictures.
kevin trieu

Postby Bob Burd » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 am

kevin trieu wrote:Bob, Jonathan found the summit register inside a bandage box buried underneath some stones placed there by Carl Heller in 1962. The peak has seen about two dozen visitors in the past 50 years. There was a gap of about 15 years where nobody climbed the peak. Tom took a few pictures.

Yeah, I heard that later. Sorry I missed that one!
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby Bob Burd » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:30 am

Day 9 - George Creek

George Creek is described by Secor thusly: Any enthusiastic Sierra mountaineer should climb up George Creek at least once. It is one of the classic bushwhacks of the High Sierra. Until recently the route up George Creek was only open for a month around December and another month around Apr/May. But with the removal of the restrictions last year, we were able to use this route during the Challenge for the first time. There are five summits accessible from George Creek - Williamson, Trojan, Barnard, Barnard East and Carl Heller, all of which were acceptable targets for today's outing. It's not a very long outing - 16mi round trip for the longest, but the elevation gain exceeds 7,000ft for all of them.

Unbeknownst to me and most of the others, the driving route starting from the north end of Manzanar was washed out sometime in the last year, making this the crux move of the day. Jonathan ran into trouble finding this out, getting a large dent on his back bumper and a driver's side door that no longer closes for his efforts last night. Rick Kent showed up to help him out and find the southern route around Manzanar. Others used the climber.org directions that go past the Shepherd Pass and Blair Creek THs, bypassing Manzanar altogether. We had ten folks out of 30 that had signed up for the 5am start.

The bushwhacking all takes place in the first mile and a half and we accomplished much of it by headlamp. Others (Michael, Rick) had been up several times and myself four times previously, which helped some in knowing approximately where to cross the creek. Still, downfalls and conditions change each year, making it a new adventure each time. I got behind near the end of the bushwhacking by staying too long on the north side of the creek, thinking I'd found a good trail the others had missed. It ended badly and I had to retrace my steps back and spend 15 minutes catching up with the others. Sean fared even worse, getting lost in a morass of willow and heavy brush and was almost an hour in catching up with us. He was very unhappy about the adventure at this point, declaring no peak was worth such trouble.

We were three hours in reaching the main fork in the canyon. Sean, Tom and Jen took the left fork to head for Carl Heller, the rest of us taking the right fork for Trojan and Barnard East. From the fork at 9,000ft we still had more than 4,500ft of climbing - this was not an easy day. We climbed another 1,500ft up from the fork (and the only good camping area in the canyon) through forest, talus and boulders to the unnamed lake. We went up the sand/talus funnel leading to the large cirque between Barnard East, Barnard and Trojan. Michael and I curved left and climbed 2,000ft of boulders to Barnard East's summit, the others (JD, Paul, Pat, Jonathan and Rick) heading right to Trojan.

There was a tiny film cannister register on Barnard with a single entry from 2006 by Brian French. The Trojan register was reported to back only a few years, supplemented with the requisite Trojan condom. The weather today was most cooperative, much like yesterday. We had little sun for most of the morning as clouds gathered slowly overhead. By the time we reached the summit they were gray and growing darker. The top 200-300ft of Mt. Whitney were in the clouds. We did not spend much time at the summit as it looked like rain might start anytime. There were a few drops that fell periodically on the descent, but not enough to wet the ground at all.

Pat was the first to summit today and was well down the canyon before I caught sight of her hours later. It was only because she was unsure of the route that I caught up to her at all. Along with Michael, the three of us finished between 2:15pm and 2:30pm. Jonathan made his way out of the jungle another ten minutes later, the others later still (we left shortly after Jonathan returned). All in all, a good day. Tomorrow we venture up to Shepherds Pass, with various folks going after Tyndall, Tyndall West, Junction, Keith and possibly others. It'll be good to rest up after the last day. If you're in Independence tomorrow, feel free to stop by Rays Den and join us for beers on the veranda around 6pm.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby Bob Burd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:40 am

Day 10 - Tyndall West

Tyndall West is a 13,500-foot summit located - wait for it - west of Mt. Tyndall. It lands on the CA 13er list with something like 450ft of prominence, which seemed as good a reason as any to put it on the Challenge. That and I happen to like the Shepherd Pass Trail.

We had about a dozen folks for the 5am start, heading to various summits besides Tyndall West, including Tyndall, Junction, Keith and Polychrome. Everyone that started out made it to the summit, a few added Polychrome (just southeast of Shepherd Pass) as a bonus. I'd write more but already had a few too many beers on the veranda this evening. But it was a beautiful day with large, dark clouds that made for pretty pictures but little threat - just a few drops were all we got out of it. Despite the uncertain weather most days, we had a successful ten days. Awards as follows:

Yellow Jersey:
1 - Sean O'Rourke
2 - Bob Burd
3 - Michael Graupe
4 - Tom Grundy

Polka Dot:
1 - Sean O'Rourke
2 - Tom Grundy
3- JD Morris

Green:
1- Jonathan Bourne
2 - Pat Hadley
3 - Phil Donehower

White:
1 - Kevin Pabinquit
2 - Jen Blackie

Thanks to everyone that came out and made it great fun. Already looking forward to 2013.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby Kahuna » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:21 am

The bushwhacking all takes place in the first mile and a half and we accomplished much of it by headlamp. Others (Michael, Rick) had been up several times and myself four times previously, which helped some in knowing approximately where to cross the creek. Still, downfalls and conditions change each year, making it a new adventure each time. I got behind near the end of the bushwhacking by staying too long on the north side of the creek, thinking I'd found a good trail the others had missed. It ended badly and I had to retrace my steps back and spend 15 minutes catching up with the others. Sean fared even worse, getting lost in a morass of willow and heavy brush and was almost an hour in catching up with us. He was very unhappy about the adventure at this point, declaring no peak was worth such trouble.

OK, any takers on signing up to do some foundational trail work next year on this jungle fest approach? BOB?

VM keeps progging me but I am not going at it alone. Hopefully VM will be the first in line to grab a pair of shears. Let me know via PM.

Hats off to ya'll that stayed safe throughout this event and kept plugging along each day. The weather most certainly was not conducive to a "fun" time by most.
Kahuna

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 pm

George Creek I hear is bushwhacking-lite.....just sack up and deal

jesu, joy of man's desiring

Postby Vitaliy M. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Sierra Challenge consists of many folks, some local to CA some not. I had the pleasure to meet some in 2010 when I participated in this event. Many get out to Sierra often. I feel like it is reasonable to give back to a place we love. If there is serious planning and green light for volunteers to help with building a trail through George Creek I would love to help, and would encourage others to do so as well. If there is solid plans I believe we could gather a lot of people to help. I can contact many people through other internet groups and we can even involve AAC with notifying climbers to come out and help. There are lots of gems climbed and unclimbed up that creek. Great potential for ski touring as well.
Vitaliy M.

Postby Bob Burd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 am

I have mixed feelings concerning trail building in George Creek. It appears that there is hardly more traffic since the removal of the Sheep closure than before when it was open for only a few months. A huge part of the draw (to me) is the wild nature of the route. A trail will both tame and draw more folks. I don't really feel that the Sierra needs more trails.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
boyblue, butitsadryheat

PreviousNext

Return to California