Purchase Northwest Forest Pass near Medford/Mt McLaughlin

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Purchase Northwest Forest Pass near Medford/Mt McLaughlin

by Scott » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:49 am

Flying into Medford tomorrow and climbing Mt McLaughlin Saturday. Does anyone know where to get a Northwest Forest Pass near Mt McLaughlin without hanging around Medford until 9 am? It would be appreciated.

kylenicolls

Re: Purchase Northwest Forest Pass near Medford/Mt McLaughli

by kylenicolls » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:42 am

I know you need a parking pass at the TH, it's 5 bucks per car, which you can get at the TH. I was there about a week ago. I even saw a rep of the Sky Lakes Wilderness taking surveys of hikers. I did a survey, she didn't ask about a forest pass. Philoparts was there too, he didn't mention needing a forest pass.

A pass wasn't mentioned on this link either: http://www.outdoorstore.com/activities/ ... ughlin.php

Pretty sure its just a 5 buck parking pass.

General info: A lot of people start at 8-9, I found. I started at 6.30 with a buddy of mine and we were the 6th auto. We passed probably 40 people on our way down (all going up, I was 1st that day TTT). I made a quick summit by 9am, was pretty proud of myself, to be honest. Last: DO NOT take NF3650 to the TH, it is apparently a crap road. Take NF3661 that is about 3 miles farther east on Hwy 140. It's a little washboarded, but cake.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am

Take a screw driver and take liscense plates off. If not gone long, will get there before the tow truck.

+)

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm

I would just bring a $5 bill and buy a one day pass at the trailhead, unless you plan on doing several trips in the northwest. The northwest forest pass costs $30 I believe so unless you're going to spend more than 6 days at northwest trailheads or just want to support the trails I'd say the one day pass is the way to go. Also, I think it will be tough to find a commercial location selling the pass that opens before 9am.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

I would just bring a $5 bill and buy a one day pass at the trailhead

I know you need a parking pass at the TH, it's 5 bucks per car, which you can get at the TH.

Thanks. I looked through the website and it didn't say that you can get them at the trailhead. That will make it much easier.

no avatar
climberska

by climberska » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Might get one online:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/passes-p ... recreation

But why do McLoughlin when Shasta is so close????????????????

At this time of year, I'd expect a 3 mile, 1,800 foot elevation gain walk to basecamp at the clear creek springs, then a 6,000 foot gain slog thru scree and pumice up to the summit including the 500 foot gain thru the boulder patch chutes above the big red-orange rock. http://www.summitpost.org/clear-creek-route/157378

This route is not overcrowded.

weather: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... asta%2C+ca

clmbr

by clmbr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm

I believe the Interagency Annual Pass (3.Do you visit federal lands across the United States?) covers the parking fee at the TH.

A year ago I did not have cash/check at the TH and after coming down to the parking lot I found a $5 ticket on the windshield of my car and mailed the money after I returned home.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:41 am

I would like to dedicate this thread to Aaron Johnson. I miss the guy.

philoparts

by philoparts » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58 pm

clmbr wrote:I believe the Interagency Annual Pass (3.Do you visit federal lands across the United States?) covers the parking fee at the TH.

Nope, doesn't cover fee sites like McLoughlin. This summer they've been cracking down on permits and fees. Last month I wanted to hike a stretch of the Obsidian Trail toward Middle Sister. You need a NW Forest pass to park at the TH, but then besides the self issues TH wilderness permit, there's another fee permit you can only do online that is required now. While I was reading the signs at the TH, a guy walks up and asks me if I had all my permits and points to the FS employee about 50yds up who is writing tickets for anyone who didn't.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:32 pm

My old farts (Senior Access) pass works for parking where a NW Forest Pass is required - I asked specifically when I got the thing and I have used it without getting a ticket.

When I read the description of the Interagency Annual Pass, it sounds identical.

clmbr

by clmbr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:22 am

philoparts wrote:
clmbr wrote:I believe the Interagency Annual Pass (3.Do you visit federal lands across the United States?) covers the parking fee at the TH.

Nope, doesn't cover fee sites like McLoughlin. This summer they've been cracking down on permits and fees. Last month I wanted to hike a stretch of the Obsidian Trail toward Middle Sister. You need a NW Forest pass to park at the TH, but then besides the self issues TH wilderness permit, there's another fee permit you can only do online that is required now. While I was reading the signs at the TH, a guy walks up and asks me if I had all my permits and points to the FS employee about 50yds up who is writing tickets for anyone who didn't.

Before there were two National Parks passes: one for $50 and another one for $65 which covered all THs. Actually I had once the one for $50 (only for NPs) and bought the $15 hologram to it at the Ranger Station in Montana which covered all THs. Now there is only one pass, Interagency Annual Pass, for $80 which supposed to cover most of the Federal "lands" such as NPs and NFs with some exceptions. I know Devils Postpile National Monument near Mammoth Lakes, CA, did not honor the $65 annual pass (I was denied access a few times, last time 2 or 3 years ago). Now according to their website they honor Interagency Annual Pass http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/park-passes.htm

Anyway, I've just found the list of valid passes for Fremont-Winema National Forest Mt. McLoughlin Trailhead http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation?cid=fsbdev2_027008 and Interagency Annual Pass is on that list.

philoparts

by philoparts » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 am

Interesting, because at the TH itself, the only pass they say they honor is the Senior pass. I wonder if they just didn't update the website info (they're good at NOT doing that) because last year it wasn't a $5 fee TH, just a pass required. I already have a NW Forest pass, and it wasn't valid there, still had to pay the $5.

clmbr

by clmbr » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 pm

philoparts wrote:Interesting, because at the TH itself, the only pass they say they honor is the Senior pass. I wonder if they just didn't update the website info (they're good at NOT doing that) because last year it wasn't a $5 fee TH, just a pass required. I already have a NW Forest pass, and it wasn't valid there, still had to pay the $5.

Just in case, before I go I'll print the webpage.

I believe early in the season the info may not be there (or perhaps it's free).I've experienced that too but not in the previous year (see above). The good news is if for whatever the reason you miss the payment and got caught, they will ask you (leaving the ticket) to pay a regular fee, at least so far. I'm not sure what might happen if you still refuse. There was a similar discussion on SP a few years ago and people said that you would not be tracked down. Well some people told me about speed ticket similar thing, which I lost, that they would send me another one, a reminder. Unfortunately, my fee was dramatically increased by the local court. I still did not have to pay but once in OR (I'm in CA) over the next three years could get arrested.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 am

I've spent the last 2 weeks hiking in national forests in Washington. Most trail heads that I've seen require a pass. I stopped in at the ranger station in randel and they told me that I did not need the nf pass if I had the national parks $80 pass (which I did). They gave me windshield stickers for my truck and jeep. The other day as I was finishing a hike and approaching my rig, a forest service employee was ticketing my truck. I pointed to my sticker on the windshield and she said that she had never seen stickers before. So she left without giving me a ticket. Very confusing I think.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)