Boundary Peak/Queen Mine to Saddle in a Subaru?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
madeintahoe

Boundary Peak/Queen Mine to Saddle in a Subaru?

by madeintahoe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:47 am

Has anyone driven all the way to the saddle in a Subaru Outback? It is a 4x4 but does not have a super high clearance.
Thank you!
madeintahoe

Greg Enright

Re: Boundary Peak/Queen Mine to Saddle in a Subaru?

by Greg Enright » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am

I saw a Honda CRV at the saddle once. I personally would rather walk from the mine than try driving a low clearance vehicle up there. But...CRV...

The following user would like to thank Greg Enright for this post
madeintahoe

madeintahoe

by madeintahoe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Thank you Greg!.......That is most likely what I will do just park below..I think the CRV has a little more clearance than a Outback. I have driven to the saddle years ago..but it was in a high clearance car.

no avatar
markv

by markv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 am

It's seriously a pretty short walk from the mine parking area up to the saddle. Might even be useful to acclimate somewhat slower by walking instead of driving.

Get an early start. On my own trip and every other trip report i've read, thunderstorms roll in by early afternoon or earlier.

Ambret

by Ambret » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

We did it last month in a four-wheel drive Ford Escape -- I don't know how that compares to a Subaru in clearance.

The distance from Queen Mine to the saddle is 1.2 miles, plus a little over 700 feet in altitude gain.

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm

If you do Montgomery Peak see if you find a pair of Black Diamond trekking poles! I agree with the others, its a short walk and not really worth it. When I was there we could have easily taken a 2wd truck to the top, but we didn't. Unless the road has gotten worse, I think you might be alright. There werent too many things that required high clearance.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)