Airplane crash sites in Eastern US

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
byrdrw72

Airplane crash sites in Eastern US

by byrdrw72 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi all,
I am trying to find information about some military aircraft crash sites. I am a pilot with an aviation degree with a minor in aviation safety which includes accident investigation. My uncle was a crew member of a KB-29 that crashed in the early 1950's. There were no survivors. My family never knew what happened and I spent several years researching the accident. I had a breakthrough when I discovered the declassified accident report. I am from McDowell County NC and have heard of several military crashes including a B-24 Bomber and C-47 / DC-3 (C-47 is the military version of a DC-3). I have hiked all over western NC and would like the challenge of finding some of these. Both of these crashes happened in the 1940's near Mount Mitchell. Maybe we can share some information about these and other related topics. The only thing I ask is that this blog not be used to disturb or take from these sites.

Thanks!
Rich Byrd

e-doc

Re: Airplane crash sites in Eastern US

by e-doc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

There have been many crashes in the Smokies. Dwight McCarter wrote Mayday! Mayday, a collection of plane crashes in the Smokies. There have been crashes on Mt Mitchell, Grandfather and Beartown Mt. Seems like I remember hearing/reading about crashes in the Southern Nantahala Wilderness, Tray Mt, Cheoah Bald, Kilmer and up around Peaks of Otter.

wkriesel

by wkriesel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm

You can get the locatiopns of several crash sites from the Appalachian Trail descriptions. One is a F-4 site about 20 miles NB from Newfound Gap. Another is where Audie Murphy died in SW Virginia.

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:57 pm

B-17 crash on Deer Mt in Oxford County,Maine, west of Rangeley. A C-54A crash in Baxter State Park on Fort Mt.

e-doc

by e-doc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 pm

The AUdie Murphey site is between Dragons Tooth and Va 42, a few miles northbound from AT crossing at 42. The F-4 crashed into Inadu Knob just south of Cosby shelter.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 am

B-24 Liberator crash on Camels Hump, Green Mountains, Vermont. 1944. Wreckage on the Alpine Trail.

LungFruit

by LungFruit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:48 pm

The Hump Crash only has one wing remaining. Here's one, complete.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/show ... hp?t=16302

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)