Medical Kits

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
Yeti

Re: Medical Kits

by Yeti » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Soemthing I questioned a long time ago: Why carry small bandaids?

I tend to tailor my kit to the activity, and pack things for "macro" injuries; wounds that will absolutely need care. If I have something that can be treated with only a bandaid, it doesn't "really" need treated, does it? Butterflies, Duct tape, Med tape, gauze, betadine, Sam splint, space blanket, anything needing those will NEED those. I got out of the practice of carrying little bandaids simply because they get in the way or blow all over the place when accessing the kit, and I never ever used them. It was never value-added to dig in the pack after them when such a would patched itself in a minute or two.

If I get a tiny boo-boo, a patch of tape can cover it if needed. Otherwise I just disinfect it and get on with life.

The following user would like to thank Yeti for this post
ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Yeti wrote:Soemthing I questioned a long time ago: Why carry small bandaids?

That is quite a good point, one I had not considered and always carried bandaids out of habit. I do, however, always carry special blister care bandages as this seems to be a common, and can be quite debilitating, 'minor' injury

philoparts

by philoparts » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I agree, even if I still carry a few bandaids. During a few brief stints as a carpenter in various locations, if anyone got a cut finger, you grabbed some black tape and toilet paper or paper towel and wrapped it up....even a few times in my life when I probably should have gotten a a few stitches (or at least most people would have). You can make a ton of bandaids from athletic tape and a gauze pad. I mostly have my kits geared toward a major injury, but can modify those components for the little injuries.

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:21 pm

I keep a few bandaids in my SAR trauma kit pretty much only for if I am on a rescue for a child since they seem to have a magic psychological effect on making kids feel better.

While I do carry a huge kit even on small dayhikes, I do agree that a lot of normal hiking gear can be repurposed in case of even fairly severe trauma. Sleeping pads, ice axes, packs, and slings can get you pretty far in most climbing related injuries.

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:54 am

I thought the Duct tape was for blisters? :)

Mountainjeff wrote:While I do carry a huge kit even on small dayhikes, I do agree that a lot of normal hiking gear can be repurposed in case of even fairly severe trauma. Sleeping pads, ice axes, packs, and slings can get you pretty far in most climbing related injuries.

I used to do Mt Washington winter trips every year, with as many rookies as I could convince to come along. Just a day hike up the lions head, but I still brought a sleeping bag with the first aid kit, just in case some one was immobilized in the cold.

TimB

by TimB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
You can get the benadryl quick-dissolve strips-- probably better for someone who is getting a serious quick reaction, since that person will not have to swallow a pill.

That's a great idea. I carry benadryl tablets in my first aid kit-I might just have to add the strips.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

If folks would carry less, and move faster, there would be less need for medical kits in the bc, just my opinion of course. I carry three things. Aspirn, Prescrip pain meds and medical marijuana ....all three literally weigh nothing......I already have 10,000 tourniquets on my person, slings, clothes that can be ripped,etc....messing with bandages? antiseptic creams? and the likes in the bc is bs. Getting the injured person down via mobility without bleeding to death, main ingredient to survival. Moving slow and getting benighted at high elevation and/or in a storm, more common safety issue. Speed equates safety in the bc and/or when shit hits the fan.

Yeti

by Yeti » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Dow Williams wrote: Speed equates safety in the bc and/or when shit hits the fan.

So you carry Coke, as well as MJ?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 am

Dow Williams wrote: marijuana ....all three literally weigh nothing......

In space, they do weigh literally nothing.

no avatar
jdenyes

by jdenyes » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 am

philoparts wrote: "Shit happens", we can't always be ready for the unforeseen rock fall, gopher hole, or pissed off moose.

This made me chuckle. Just moved from Canada to Switzerland, moose stories are in vouge at cocktail parties, but its still hilarious to me not to worry about rouge animals when we are "out an aboot" lol.
Anyway, thanks for the grin :wink:

Jukka Ahonen

by Jukka Ahonen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 am

One thing I don't think I saw in this post that I always carry is a space blanket. It does not weigh much, but can can be worth someone's life if you're forced to spend time immobile, waiting for rescue etc.

philoparts

by philoparts » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Jukka Ahonen wrote:One thing I don't think I saw in this post that I always carry is a space blanket. It does not weigh much, but can can be worth someone's life if you're forced to spend time immobile, waiting for rescue etc.

That is something I keep in another pouch for survival/emergency shelter. In my medium SAR and bigger jump bag I have a few as well, but those bags aren't ones I normally have in the BC.

Previous

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue