Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

10/10 pages?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Re: 10/10 pages?

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm

I think the voting system should either be trashed, or modified (if anyone can ever get Josh or Ryle to sack up and give a crap about the site anymore).

If not, we'll keep getting poor quality pages and routes and objects from douchebags like this poor excuse for a contributor.
butitsadryheat

The following user would like to thank butitsadryheat for this post
Buz Groshong, lcarreau, Marmaduke, mrchad9, norco17, SeanReedy

Postby surgent » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Eleven gradations between 0 (awful) and 10 (perfect) are too many. There can never be a way to definitely explain the difference between an 8 page and a 9 page, for example. Reduce the number of options to three or four, like the olden days.

Similarly, two pages with scores of 87.82% and 87.45% are statistically identical in "quality". Nevertheless, in very broadest terms, the better pages tend to have scores in the high 80s, the lesser-quality pages have scores in the lower 80s, so the system works in broad terms, not in fine detail.

Pages with scores below 1% just need to be deleted automatically. They linger on too often.
surgent

Postby lcarreau » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 am

Kiefer Thomas wrote:
lcarreau wrote:I think we should continue the experimental analysis. I wonder what a hamster would vote for, IF A HAMSTER COULD VOTE ..

Great! Thanks, Icarreau. :wink:

Is there anyway one can connect or find links between the Higgs-Boson Particle and Mt. Rainier?

Not a problem, Kiefer.

No, don't see the connection between the "God" particle and Mount Rainier. But, I did stumble upon this ........ :shock:

"A renaming competition conducted by the science correspondent for the British Guardian newspaper chose the name "the champagne bottle boson" as the best from among their submissions:

"The bottom of a champagne bottle is in the shape of the Higgs potential and is often used as an illustration in physics lectures."

lcarreau

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:25 am

surgent wrote:Eleven gradations between 0 (awful) and 10 (perfect) are too many. There can never be a way to definitely explain the difference between an 8 page and a 9 page, for example. Reduce the number of options to three or four, like the olden days.

Scott, fellow propeller-beanie wearing pointy headed geek...I thought I would only have rating scale arguments at work. I actually advocate a 10-pt "Bo Derek / decimal" scale for an international audience, especially when the endpoint anchors are not specified :!: nor translated, but...oh, nevermind, save the argument for the office... :geek:
Go climb a mountain
Sarah Simon

Postby Matt Lemke » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:13 am

EDIT: Ok it was a joke...sorry to the OP of the link at the top of this page. Maybe next time be a little less blunt :wink:
Matt Lemke

Postby butitsadryheat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:37 am

Matt Lemke wrote:EDIT: Ok it was a joke...sorry to the OP of the link at the top of this page. Maybe next time be a little less blunt :wink:

8)
butitsadryheat

Previous

Return to Site Feedback