Sierra trout rescue operation

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Alpinist

Sierra trout rescue operation

by Alpinist » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

My friend and I rescued 41 Sierra Brookies (fingerlings) from a 3'x2'x6" shrinking pond in a dried up stream last week. Amazing that they had enough oxygen to survive with that many fish in such a small space. With no rain in sight, they surely would have died in a couple of days. We moved them 1 or 2 at a time to the nearby lake.

We couldn't see them well because they were hiding under an overhang in the riverbank. Plus, the water was murky from us stirring up the bottom. Have any idea how hard it is to catch a fish with cooking pot when you can't even see them? Let me tell you, they are slippery little buggers. It took us about 2 hours to fish them out with a cook pot and net that we made from the gear loft from our tent. It was a fun challenge though and it felt satisfying to do our good deed for the day!

Tonka

Re: Sierra trout rescue operation

by Tonka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Icarreau....? Icarreau...? He's tee'd one up for you.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
lcarreau

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 pm

HaHa! I guess I did. Waiting....

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:39 pm

I have read quite a few studies about the Park Service actually taking fish out of alpine lakes, in the Sierras and in the North Cascades. Hard to believe but most of those gorgeous alpine lakes in the high country do not have native fish populations. In many cases, horse packers and the Park Service introduced them long ago to provide recreational fishing opportunities. There is strong evidence that the presence of the fish has endangered a frog species in the Sierra. The studies documenting the changes in the alpine ecosystem brought on by fish are fascinating, if you're into that sort of thing.

But yeah... rescuing little fish sucking in the last bit of nasty water over their gills is satisfying.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 am

A lot of the alpine lakes have been gill netted. Upper Horton was done recently. Most of the lakes out of Onion Valley were also done and the frog populations have rebounded. I think the more popular fishing lakes will continue to stay stocked or at least not netted.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:36 am

Alpinist wrote: Amazing that they had enough oxygen to survive ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8dZGffkzQ[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:36 am

Gafoto wrote:A lot of the alpine lakes have been gill netted. Upper Horton was done recently. Most of the lakes out of Onion Valley were also done and the frog populations have rebounded. I think the more popular fishing lakes will continue to stay stocked or at least not netted.

Isn't that so intelligently human .... terminate "KILL" thousands of several species in order to save one.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 am

Alpinist wrote:We couldn't see them well because they were hiding under an overhang in the riverbank. Plus, the water was murky from us stirring up the bottom. Have any idea how hard it is to catch a fish ......."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 am

A5RP wrote:
Isn't that so intelligently human ....

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 am

FAIL USE OF A MEME

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:13 am

FAIL ......

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
mrchad9

TimB

by TimB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Not exactly on topic here, but the only Golden Trout I have ever caught have been in the Eastern Sierras. Those darn things looked like they could have been from a marine reef, they had such bright colors.
:cool:

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm

TimB wrote:Not exactly on topic here, but the only Golden Trout I have ever caught have been in the Eastern Sierras. Those darn things looked like they could have been from a marine reef, they had such bright colors.
:cool:

That was surprising to me too. Trout in Eastern Sierra does look exotic compared to ones I caught in lakes around bay area.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:54 am

A5RP wrote:
Gafoto wrote:A lot of the alpine lakes have been gill netted. Upper Horton was done recently. Most of the lakes out of Onion Valley were also done and the frog populations have rebounded. I think the more popular fishing lakes will continue to stay stocked or at least not netted.

Isn't that so intelligently human .... terminate "KILL" thousands of several species in order to save one.

Well, it's more mistake correction than anything. People purposely introduced a species into the lakes and now we're taking it back out. I agree it's a little odd to be simultaneously gill netting some lakes and stocking others.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:35 am

The Brookies in the Emigrant Wilderness have some beautiful color!

Next

Return to California