BaseLayer - Patagonia Capilene or Arcteryx Phase ???

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
cayzi

BaseLayer - Patagonia Capilene or Arcteryx Phase ???

by cayzi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi!

I wonder if someone try both companies syntetic shirts?

What do you prefer and why?

Thanks!

dman

Re: BaseLayer - Patagonia Capilene or Arcteryx Phase ???

by dman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I have used both companies shirts, and for me there is not a lot of real performance difference. Obviously the two companies provide a different style of shirt, but then again, the Arcteryx shirts cost more. I have only one Arteryx shirt because I wanted to try it, but I have 5 Capilene shirts. The simple conclusion for me is that Capilene is cheaper and just as good while not breaking the bank.

My two favorite brands are Black Diamond and Patagonia. They were actually one company, but split so one could specialize in equipment and the other could specialize in apparel. I have never been disappointed with a product from either. Just some real quick history!

mattcav

by mattcav » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 am

i like patagonia stuff but i'd try arcteryx. i have capilines and they wore out and smelled nasty way fast. i would argue that smartwool or other merino wool would be the best and most durable option over polyester.

macintosh

by macintosh » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:04 pm

mattcav wrote:i would argue that smartwool or other merino wool would be the best and most durable option over polyester.

I agree with mattcav. The only restriction is the wool washing. It is desirable that the wool is mixed with synthetic fibers that facilitate hot wash. Indeed, bacterias arising from the maceration of sweating are destroyed at 60°C, which is not the case when the wool is washed only at 30. Woolpower is my choice.

no avatar
luzak00

by luzak00 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:34 am

I climb a lot in a Phase LT. I got it this spring, and have relegated my capilene to done-in-a-day activities. The Phase LT is incredibly light and wicks exceptionally. Stink is better than my Patagonia pieces, as is the feel (similar to Cap 1).

FWIW, my Capilene pieces are several years old. Patagonia seems to upgrade their stuff every year. I would choose whichever was on sale.

Wool is a different beast, in my experience. Personal preference there. I use it less these days than I used to.

radson

by radson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:00 am

I also use wool less now than I used to as well.

peninsula

by peninsula » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I like both companies, but for base layer, I have converted to Icebreaker's products. I'm sensitive (very sensitive) to most wool products, but Icebreaker is amazingly comfortable for the likes of one who can't stand most wool products for the itch factor.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:46 am

I've used the Phase SV baselayers quite a bit and been extremely pleased with them. They wick like no other and have a very comfy fit over the long term. I've had some capilene layers and not been disappointed in them either. They seem to have a lighter, looser fit though. THe Phase layers are definitely a nice snug fitting baselayer.

Return to Gear