Email system doesn't work

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Email system doesn't work

by Scott » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 pm

The SP email system doesn't work. It is impossible to respond to an email. What good does it do to get an email you can't respond to?

Several people send me emails, but to try to respond, I have to look up their profile and try emailing them back that way.

It usually takes 10+ tries, because the security code is unreadable:

It seems that if you can't respond to an email, that it's pointless to have the feature anyway. Any chance of improvement? If not, can we just delete the email function?

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Josh Lewis

mrchad9

Re: Email system doesn't work

by mrchad9 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Agree with Scott's comments here.

lsheen

by lsheen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 am

You guys know if you hit the <reload> (circular arrows) to the right of the security code - it'll display a new word combination for you, right?

Sometimes I can't make it out, if so I'll just keep cycling thru until I get to one that I CAN read! I agree it can be a pain, but I think it's a necessary evil on the internet today. What's the alternative? Endless (maybe grossly inappropriate) spam to your inbox? We gotta have SOME kind of e-mail protection....

Peace,

Big Lew

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 am

You guys know if you hit the <reload> (circular arrows) to the right of the security code - it'll display a new word combination for you, right?

Yes. Like I said, it's taking 10+ times for me.

It would be easier if we could just reply to an email. Otherwise, it's pointless.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:11 am

This member is definitely technologically challenged, and thinks there's only one satisfying way to boot a computer .....

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:25 am

I very much agree with Scott on this. I found this out a while back which was inconvenient. I'll bet good responses are lost this way. I imagine this wouldn't be too hard of a thing to fix. I don't think the email system should be abolished considering that inactive members can sometimes be contacted this way from active members.

As for the capatcha, I too find these to be annoyed. Personally I like the logical capatchas that have things like 5+2 which you answer as 7. Or a simple question like "What's the name of the Site?". This would make sending emails easier. This is coming from someone with nearly perfect vision. :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 am

Josh Lewis wrote: I don't think the email system should be abolished considering that inactive members can sometimes be contacted ..."

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Josh Lewis, mrchad9

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I've never used the e-mail feature. I've always used the p-mail feature instead; it e-mails the recipient and lets them know that they have mail at summitpost and all you have to do to reply is log on to summitpost and go to your mailbox. I don't see any need for (or advantage of) another system.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 pm

@Buz, I too get notified via email when I get a new comment or Private Message. But many folks still did not enable this option making it more difficult to contact certain individuals. I've had in the past were I would send a PM, wait a few weeks, get no response. Then I send an email and poof, that same person replies very fast! :)

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Buz Groshong

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm

I've never used the e-mail feature

I don't use it either, unless someone sends me an email and I try to respond back. Usually it's new members sending emails requesting information.

Anyone who has been here a while knows not to use it and how it works (or more accurately, doesn't work).

It's better to delete the email feature than to keep it the way it is.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Hmmm.... I wonder if this member will do anything to fix it...

Return to Site Feedback