Pack Fitting Help

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
dustingaffke

Pack Fitting Help

by dustingaffke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 am

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a little pack fitting. I recently picked up a Mammut Trion Guide 45 which seems to be a well thought out pack. This is the first "one size fits all" pack that I've put effort into trying to fit. Usually I dismiss these packs quickly and say they're too small. I'm 6'3" with a 21.5" torso and 32" waist. I'm fairly tall but don't think I'm weird proportioned or anything. I remember seeing somewhere that Mammut rates these packs for 16-23" torso. Below are a couple pictures of the upper shoulder straps and lifter strips. I've always been told the load lifters should be coming up at 30-45 degrees to the frame. When I wear the pack comfortably, with the hip belt half way on my iliac crest, the load lifters are actually decending into the pack. If I wear the hip belt straight across my naval the load lifters are able to get back to horizontal. In my mind, this pack is too small to comfortably handle much load. This probably doesn't matter much for a light load but if I pack this thing full for a 3 day trip my shoulders are going to be hurting.

So, is the pack too small or am I missing something?

Pack is hugging the iliac crest. by Gaffke Photography v2.8, on Flickr

Hip Belt is across the navel above the hips by Gaffke Photography v2.8, on Flickr

norco17

Re: Pack Fitting Help

by norco17 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 pm

pack is to small. Many people ignore the angle of those straps, but in my own experience that is the most important thing in sizing. I honestly think most pack manufacturers make their packs for a shorter torso than they say. Then again I could just be weird.

The second picture seems somewht doable, but when I wear a belt or harness that high up it gives me stomach issues after a couple hours.

I was in rei helping my dad find his first pack and the clerk gave him a pack that was sized like that. I mentioned the angle thing and the guy looked at me weird. My dad said his shoulders were killing him when we had some weight in the pack. When the clerk walked away I handed him the pack that was two sizes bigger. After trying it on he bought that pack.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:17 pm

If the waist belt is too high up, it can't do its job carrying the bulk of the load and taking it off of the shoulders. Also, if it is too high up it is restricting the diaphragm and limiting breathing. If you are carrying a big load you will need to breathe deeply; same if you are at altitude; you don't want your pack preventing this.

alpine345

by alpine345 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 am

The Osprey sizing thingy indicates that I have a 17" torso (5'10", 30"waist) and I have this pack. Unloaded, the pack sits about like your second pic, when the hipbelt is on my iliac crest. When it's loaded, it settles a little. However...for packs that you actually climb in as opposed to hiking on a trail squat-tight-low-close-like-a barnacle is what you want. A frame tall enough to angle the load lifters up will be tall enough to tip your helmet down over your eyes when you look up and be tippy enough to throw you off balance. Same thing when the extension sleeve is crammed full...just my $0.02

mattcav

by mattcav » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 am

I concur with everyone else in thinking your pack is a bit small. Middle of the belt should be situated over your hips/iliac crest/belly button area and load lifters should be at a 45 degree angle to optimally position everything. With having a longer torso and a relatively slim waist, (if you're able to return your Mammut) I'd go with a medium size pack that features an adjustable torso. In the size you're looking at, some packs that may be worth considering that have these criteria are any of the Osprey Aethers or Kestrels, the REI Crestrail 48, or the Deuter ACT Lite series. I'd be happy to help you fit your pack if you run into problems or questions (I've been doing this for a few years as part of my job).

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 am

Somewhat unrelated issue, but I bought this pack a while ago from REI and returned it rather fast. Those small circular pads on the back panel were very uncomfortable and created pressure spots on my back. Since then, I tried other packs with similar "pads" and found all of them very uncomfortable, especially when I load these packs to the max. Anyone has the same problem?

Return to Gear