Free/cheap camping in El Chalten

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
AdamsKerr

Free/cheap camping in El Chalten

by AdamsKerr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

Hey everyone!

So I am heading to Patagonia this December and am on a small budget. Can anyone recommend free or cheap camping in El Chalten? I've done some research online but always like to talk to climbers/trekkers to get their opinions.

Thanks!

Kerr

paisajeroamericano

Re: Free/cheap camping in El Chalten

by paisajeroamericano » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 am

there used to be two free campgrounds in town - i believe the one by the trailhead (where all the climbers/guides used to live) was closed down a couple years ago - i believe the one by the entrance to town remains open, but is now charging - i don't know the prices, but i assume that is the cheapest place in town - another option that i like is to stay at Laguna Capri - it's about an hour from town, has a great view of the Fitzroy massif, and is centrally located within the park... and it's free

catherinereeds

Re: Free/cheap camping in El Chalten

by catherinereeds » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 am

There are so many nice places at Patagonia which can be visited at cheaper rates. They provide all the facilities and has got good services too.

Return to South America