STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Alpinist

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Alpinist » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:40 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Sup dudes! Been awhile. I haven't gotten any accomplished since this summer. Thinking TX early next year. Hope to get another one this year. So close to being half way

Hey Doogie - looks like you missed Charles Mound on your last trip. Let me know if you pass this way on your next HP adventure.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:52 pm

http://www.hdnews.net/Story/mountsunflower111811

Vandals damage state landmark - Mt. Sunflower.

It's an amzing HP, sad that the coming highpointers will never see it the way it used to be.

The following user would like to thank sm0421 for this post
Alpinist

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that news. That really sucks. Idiots like that seriously jeopardize access to the HPs located on private property. I think the HPers Club should create a special fund to help with the repairs and maybe even add better security barriers. The gesture might help prevent the owner from closing the HP to visitors.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all you highpointers...!

Image Image

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Bark Eater, Hotoven

atavist

by atavist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm thinking about climbing Guadalupe Peak around January 20-22. Anybody have advice on the mountain in January? Anyone going to be in the area?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:19 pm

baumann_pat wrote:I'm thinking about climbing Guadalupe Peak around January 20-22. Anybody have advice on the mountain in January? Anyone going to be in the area?

I don't know what the conditions are like down there in January but I hope you post a report after your trip. If you haven't already, you might consider posting this inquiry in the SW regional forum. You'll probably get a better response there from locals.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Just planned a road trip in conjunction with a April work conference in New Orleans. Schedule we put together is leave NO Thurs. AM, hike Driskill Mtn., LA Thurs., stay with friends in W. Monroe, LA Thurs. night, drive to Woodall Mtn., MS Fri., summit, drive a bit down Alabama and spend the night, drive to Britton Hill, FL Sat., continue to and stay in Biloxi, MS on Sat. night, return to NO and fly out Sun. morning. Looking at a map that seems quite reasonable. Anyone have experience with a circuit like that and can share comments on the roads, tips, etc.? Much appreciated!

Also finalizing plans for real mountaineering and climbing Rainier in June!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Florida Frank wrote:Also finalizing plans for real mountaineering and climbing Rainier in June!

You will have to run up and down those little hills in preparation for a real summit!

Sounds like a good trip, honestly, when I did a few of the HPs in the South, I was more excited about where I was going to eat then bagging the hill.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:52 pm

So glad this thread is still going! Thanks to everyone who keeps this baby alive. My knee has been messed up, so I haven't been climbing.

But I didn't want my daughter and I to COMPLETELY lose momentum (we have a vague goal to someday climb all the highpoints, or at least the ones that don't scare her too much). So last July we camped at Dolly Sods and "climbed" Spruce Mountain in WV. You can drive right to the top, and that's what we did. About 20 years ago I mountain biked up from Seneca Creek (don't know if that is technically legal...), so I don't feel too guilty about driving it, but I feel bad for my daughter, who is stuck with my knee's limitations.

There is an elevated viewing platform at the top and a neat little trail around the summit. Not as good as climbing it, but still very nice.

My map didn't show this, but if you are going to drive up it is much easier coming from the north than the south side. As I recall the trails coming up from the west side were not difficult, with maybe 2000' of elevation gain. All in all a typical Eastern peak, with lots of woods, a hiking option and a driving option.

My hat's off to all highpointers doing bigger things. I wish I could be out there, but until then I'll live vicariously through your exploits. Climb one for me you guys!

The following user would like to thank GEM Trail for this post
Alpinist, Bark Eater

Jow

by Jow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 pm

So everyone what is the first highpoint you plan on hitting up in 2012? Mine will be Mt Davis in early May or June. Although I may have oppurtunity to travel to Atlanta for work "sometime" this spring in which case a Cheaha Mountain side trip could take the title.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 am

What's up Joe? I'll be in CA end of Feb for work stuff but can't really hike Whitney because the boss is coming with me. My first HP will be SD/ND/CO in late May.

Let me know when you plan to be on Mt Davis, it's only 4.5 hours from my place so I'll join you.

-Alex

atavist

by atavist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 pm

GEM Trail wrote:My map didn't show this, but if you are going to drive up it is much easier coming from the north than the south side.

Leave it to a highpointing thread to give beta on the easier way to drive up a summit. :lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Jow wrote:So everyone what is the first highpoint you plan on hitting up in 2012?

LA, MS, and FL in April.
The real event will be getting back for a long-anticipated second attempt on Mt. Rainier in June. Can't wait!

elichten

by elichten » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:54 pm

I've only got one planned: Denali! I'll be getting onto the High One on May 19. After that I've got no vacation days left for anything else. :)

If I can squeeze in a winter attempt on Mount Washington I'll be extra happy with my HP plans for this year.

Jow wrote:So everyone what is the first highpoint you plan on hitting up in 2012? Mine will be Mt Davis in early May or June. Although I may have oppurtunity to travel to Atlanta for work "sometime" this spring in which case a Cheaha Mountain side trip could take the title.

JohnMcPike

by JohnMcPike » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 am

We hope to get to Black Mesa in April

PreviousNext

Return to General