Fall Colors hike, seeking recommendations

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Bubba Suess

Re: Fall Colors hike, seeking recommendations

by Bubba Suess » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 am

The fall colors are finally hitting their peak up here in Mount Shasta. There is a lot of color in town and further south in the Sacramento River Canyon:
Right now, there is a lot of color a little higher up too. My family went hiking today in the large meadow behind our house, which is at about 4,000 feet.
The colors of the oaks is absolutely awesome right now. Contrasted against the green conifers and gold grass, it was a gorgeous display of color.
Of course, there were a few other things worth looking at:
Last edited by Bubba Suess on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
colinr, Fredd C Dobbs, TimB

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:Fantastic shots, Bubba. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had that in my back yard

Thanks I really appreciate it. It is nice to have a wilderness at our back door. I am currently working on a route to the top of Mount Eddy that begins on my patio. It is shaping up to be a nifty trip thus far. If you ever head up this way, please feel free to stop and stay awhile. We have a guest cottage and love getting visitors (of which we actually get very few!). I have actually thought about trying to host a Summitpost BBQ or something, but I have never really done anything about it.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 am

Not knowing specifically which peak you are seeing, my first guess is that it is Pilot Rock:
It is a nifty climb right off of the PCT in the newly created Soda Mountain Wilderness. If that is not it, let me know and I will suggest some others. Based on what you described though, I suspect this is what you are seeing.

Seriously though, feel free to stop and stay. We like having guests and we have lots of great trails right out our door.
Last edited by Bubba Suess on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr

Farewell to Fall

by colinr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 am

This should obviously go up in the Oregon forum, but since Pilot Rock was the subject of some drift in this thread I reckon I might as well put the picture up here. The recent storm left a nice mantle of snow on the higher areas above the Klamath River:

Previous

Return to California