What to do in November/December?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
ascasson

What to do in November/December?

by ascasson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 am

I had a good first season of climbing. Learning the basics and reaching some goals. Then I got swallowed by "real life" and left the climbing world.

So I have the bug again, and I'm curious what climbers do during this time of year in Oregon and Washington. What's available to climb? Risky and safe(er) options alike. What's the snow doing in the mountains, and how does the weather transition complicate things? Or is there any complication?

Really, and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

I just really want to do something...

Cheers,

Anthony

lcarreau

Re: What to do in November/December?

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 am

Good question ... I always went X-country skiing during PAC NW dreary Novembers ... Decembers ...

... guess it beats staying cooped up indoors with Starbucks and old Nirvana albums ... :wink:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

ascasson

by ascasson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 pm

I wish I had a place to make something inside... Rental apartment with little rooms is a tad underwhelming!

mountainsandsound

by mountainsandsound » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 am

Brew beer. Most apartments have enough room for that. Seriously, its a fun hobby. And you are from Oregon after all.

Most NW climbers diversify their hobbies during this time. Many of them are not climbing related.

I have had a lot of fun camping in the winter. Snowshoeing around at or below treeline and camping overnight has been a blast. Lot's of climbers are also BC skiers. It is a bit more complicated, because now you need to learn about snow and avalanche safety if you haven't already. I would say something like BC skiing is a good way to transition into winter climbing. It would teach one how to efficiently and safely move through mountains during the winter, then adding the technical aspect of climbing will follow more smoothly.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:08 am

tahoecedar wrote:...Otherwise, you could bake pumpkin pie and wrap presents...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

EastKing

by EastKing » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:49 am

Ok, Life is not dead when November and December comes in. For example if a good weather window Hood is easily doable in November and December via the South Side. Go over the Cascade Crest and many of the crags are still open for business. Also on the Washington side, the Enchantments are never to be ignored. In late December The Chair, located in Snoqualmie Pass maybe a good place to go. Whatever you do don't let the bad weather blues get you down.

Hemoglobin

by Hemoglobin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

1. Snowshoe into Green Lakes or Middle Sister wilderness
2. Setup basecamp with 4 season gear
3. Make a Quinzhee
4. explore
5. If the weather clears climb south sister with extreme caution
6. Eat food, hang out in tent/Quinzhee

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)