What is the best middle layer of clothing against cold?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
bird

Re: What is the best middle layer of clothing against cold?

by bird » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm

It varies depending on temp and activity.
My go to is a baselayer like a patagonia capiline 2, then a patagonia r1 hoody (best thing ever), then a mtn hardward softshell. This is a good combo for moving in cold temps. Throw a puffy over it for stops and camp.
For really cold temps I have TNF redpoint jacket that works as a mid layer.

The following user would like to thank bird for this post
geagleiam

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Marmot Windshirt as a midlayer (maybe it's EB's recent absence here - as I recall he was an advocate for this). For moderately cold conditions (30-10F or so) it's a great choice. It's very breathable - which is key for a midlayer, wicks perspiration away - key when you stop to rest, light, and works as a top layer in cool windy conditions.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
geagleiam

Tonka

by Tonka » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 am

JHH60 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Marmot Windshirt as a midlayer (maybe it's EB's recent absence here - as I recall he was an advocate for this). For moderately cold conditions (30-10F or so) it's a great choice. It's very breathable - which is key for a midlayer, wicks perspiration away - key when you stop to rest, light, and works as a top layer in cool windy conditions.

One of my favorites but I don't usually think of it as a mid-layer although I have used it as one. It does make sense in certain situations. If there is a chance of weather I end up bringing a shell like a precipe which then makes me think....why do I need this wind-shirt. It is soooo much easier to take off than an R1 though.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
geagleiam

JHH60

by JHH60 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:24 am

Tonka wrote:
JHH60 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has suggested the Marmot Windshirt as a midlayer (maybe it's EB's recent absence here - as I recall he was an advocate for this). For moderately cold conditions (30-10F or so) it's a great choice. It's very breathable - which is key for a midlayer, wicks perspiration away - key when you stop to rest, light, and works as a top layer in cool windy conditions.

One of my favorites but I don't usually think of it as a mid-layer although I have used it as one. It does make sense in certain situations. If there is a chance of weather I end up bringing a shell like a precipe which then makes me think....why do I need this wind-shirt. It is soooo much easier to take off than an R1 though.

Yes - and you can also progressively unzip it underneath your (progressively unzipped) softshell, to adjust insulation due to changes in temperature or exertion level. You can kinda sorta do that with some half-zip pullovers, but it doesn't work as well as a Windshirt.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
geagleiam

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:45 am

JHH60 wrote:
Tonka wrote:

Yes - and you can also progressively unzip it underneath your (progressively unzipped) softshell, to adjust insulation due to changes in temperature or exertion level. You can kinda sorta do that with some half-zip pullovers, but it doesn't work as well as a Windshirt.

Windshirt is good, one of my favorite pieces, in fact. And, I should've looked back at the title of this OP, for the question related to "middle layer for cold."
In my previous posts, a couple pgs. back, I commented on the fact that I'd just done a hike in mid-40 temps, very humid, drippy weather, and wore a Cap3 with
a Marmot Windshirt over the top, and was really overheating. I've used them before and had better luck; perhaps it was due to the humid conditions, and
somewhat mild temps, ie, not that cold.. Might've been that I should've been wearing something a little lighter than a Cap3. Either way, I was overheating
greatly with that windshirt on, even only partially zipped. Finally removed it and put on a R2 jacket over that Cap3, and was amazed at how well the thing
breathed compared to the Driclime windshirt. . . After thinking about it a bit, it makes sense, as the windshirt has the driclime on the inside, with a nylon shell
covering it, thus preventing some of that moisture from escaping. . . All depends on conditions, usage, how hard one is working, etc. . .
Anyway, I do love the windshirt, have used one for many years now, but, I'm very impressed with the breathability of the R2 in comparison. Perhaps not as
water/wind resistant as the windshirt, but, damn, the thing kept me warm enough and breathed very well.

The following user would like to thank dskoon for this post
geagleiam

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

I have also used the Marmot Driclime windshirt as a mid-layer and it has worked great. But in that temp, 40's, I usually hike in my Cap 3 baselayer long sleeve top only, if im wearing a pack. I might add a light fleece but I usually end up with the shirt only after 15-30min.

The R2 is one of the most breathable jackets out there because its super air permeable since its made to be used primarily as a mid-layer and the fabric is not a tight weave.

The following user would like to thank sneakyracer for this post
dskoon, geagleiam

mike_lindacher

by mike_lindacher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:44 pm

patagonia R1 hoody!

dskoon

by dskoon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 pm

sneakyracer wrote:I have also used the Marmot Driclime windshirt as a mid-layer and it has worked great. But in that temp, 40's, I usually hike in my Cap 3 baselayer long sleeve top only, if im wearing a pack. I might add a light fleece but I usually end up with the shirt only after 15-30min.

The R2 is one of the most breathable jackets out there because its super air permeable since its made to be used primarily as a mid-layer and the fabric is not a tight weave.

Yep, that's the conclusion I've come to.

Previous

Return to Gear