SP East Coast Mid Atlantic Hike/Meet Up

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Hotoven

SP East Coast Mid Atlantic Hike/Meet Up

by Hotoven » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 am

Anyone interested in a hike and meet up please let me know in this thread. The only day that would ever work for me is Sunday since its my only day off every week.

Before the idea of Hawk Rocks or the Pinnacle were tossed out there. I think they are great ideas and we should stick to that. Any more potential locations are welcomed. As far as dates, any ideas? Please check in often and contribute to dates and times if you are serious about making this happen.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Bark Eater

Re: SP East Coast Mid Atlantic Hike/Meet Up

by Bark Eater » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi, Nate. I'm still interested. Either Hawk Mtn. or the Pinnacle is great. At this point I could do Nov. 4, 11, or 18. The sooner I get something on my calendar the more likely it is that it will happen for me :-)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 am

Alright Mr. Frank. I'm fine with any of those dates, although I prefer the 4th or 18th. What time would you want to meet and which hike would you prefer? I have done both within the last past 3 years and multiple times before that, so I'm indifferent. The view from the pinnacle is much better IMHO.

If its just you and I, I'm fine with it. I need to get out!
- The Dude, Lebowski

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Nate, I think I'm good with Nov. 4th. Let's do the Pinnacle as you suggest. I've been to Hawk Mtn. many years ago. Don't think I've ever been to the Pinnacle. Would 9 AM meet for a day trip be reasonable? What total hike length were you envisioning? I'm game for most anything. It's about a 2 hour drive from here (I think). Let me check at home this evening to confirm availability and I will PM you. Is the Pinnacle dog friendly? I see to recall Hawk Mtn. is off limit to dogs. I might bring my pup in a day glo orange vest (expect that Nov. 4 is PA deer season) if allowed. If the weather wound up being awful we could always consider Nov. 18 as back up. Finally, to define a meet point, is there just one trailhead? I thought you could approach it either way on the AT. Thanks!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 am

There's only one trail head I can think of. There is a nice loop trail that takes your from the parking lot around the pinnacle and back to your car without retracing to many steps. I think its around 7 miles total? I'll have to check. That's the shortest route from what I remember, but I always do it with friends so it seems like a 3 mile stroll.

I'm sure I have seen dogs there before, but here is a site with information that might clarify somethings for you.

http://www.harpweb.com/thepinnacle/hamburg.html

I just checked with the wife, and she said were have obligations for the 4th. So how does the 18th sound? I'm down for rain or shine too!

9:00 or 10:00am sounds good. I usually get off work Sunday morning at 9am. I'll ask to get off at 7 or 8am. I'm only 1 hour from the hike. So we can shoot for 9am if your fine with that. When you PM me, I'll give you my cell number to talk or text. Did you want to grab some beers after word? I know that was an idea in the original gathering...we could play it by ear...
- The Dude, Lebowski

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:58 am

total trail is 7 miles and is doable in 3-4 hours, totally dog friendly, take AT up and the other trail down~

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 pm

Nov. 18th OK at this point. On my calendar. Post hike beers sound good as well. Please define whether the trailhead meet point is at Hamburg Reservoir or Eckville. I'm basically unfamiliar with the area and don't want to wind up at the wrong place! Thanks. Hopefully some others (SM0421?) can join us.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 am

I can do 9:00AM at the hamburg reservoir trailhead, (the end of the reservoir road) we should be off the mtn by 1-2pm if we do the biggest loop, it's an easy hike. I'm about 40 minutes away.

-Alex

Jow

by Jow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Its like 2hrs for me but hell I feel getting in a hike so I'll see you fellas at 9am

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 pm

That's awesome, guys. See you all on the 18th!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:35 am

Sweet! So will have Jow, Florida Frank, SM0421, and myself. Sounds like a plan. I get off work at 8:00am in Hershey PA, So I'll either be right on time at 9:00am, or a few minutes late.

Frank has my phone number too.

See you all then!

-Nate
- The Dude, Lebowski

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Wonderful to meet and hike with you all. As promised I posted a trip report. Please PM me if there are any inaccuracies and I will quickly correct them. More adventures soon!

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=826367

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)