Snow Shoe Help

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Biscut

Snow Shoe Help

by Biscut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Looking to find a new set of snow shoes. I'd like lightest and smallest footprint possible. Now comes the :? :? :? I'm 5"10" and 225. No matter what my ass is thick! This is me lean.... I'm a wreck....boot size 47 and XXL glove size makes finding the rigt gear a PITA. Most of my winter hikes are in the White's (New Hampshire) and inside my Dana Bomb (love that pack!!) is 100oz Camelback and a few well wraped beers....so I'm clearly the guy you wanna be behing breaking trail :shock:

I have a pair of Tubbs that are OK but they are old and my decking has seen better days....and they are HUGE and HEAVY! Any recommendations please send em my way!.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

TimB

Re: Snow Shoe Help

by TimB » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Biscut,
I currently run close to 225# with full gear and pack and I have had good luck with the MSR Lightning Ascent-25" length, I believe they are. They climb well, and though they are on the longish side, they are fairly light.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I second the recommendation for the MSR Lightning Ascents.

BTW, you are showing your age with your DD Bomb Pack. I have several newer, lighter, more sexier packs, but still can't bring myself to get rid of the old trusty Bomb Pack.

no avatar
Biscut

by Biscut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for the recommendation....I have to agree the Dana packs are awesome. My Bomb and Bridger packs have been through hell and back and they have upheld so damn well!! They are about the only things I havent sliced up with crampon or ice ax. :wink: I hear good things about Mystery Ranch (Mr. Dana lives on!) packs as well.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:28 am

I would have to MSR's are pretty nice. They have a small foot print and an aggressive crampon for traction. You can also get the tail extenders for deep snow even though they seem to float pretty good without them. They have a pretty open foot bed and they will fit snowboard boots no problem, so big feet shouldn't be an issue. If I'm not mistaken, manufactures should have a recommended weight for the size.

(Example: 22" snow shoe supports up to 180lbs)

no avatar
ty454

by ty454 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Plus one on the lightning ascents. I am a bodybuilder and with pack I am about 240lbs. I've used mine on many a WV winter packpacking trip. Extremely robust with excellent traction. My favorite thing is the elevator bar for the heels. Pop that baby up and walking uphill is like taking the stairs.

no avatar
Biscut

by Biscut » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 pm

There aren't many places around me who stock them. I got around to the Shawgunk area (New Paltz NY) and a climb shop had a pair of 22". You guys sure did steer me in the right direction. Much lighter than the TUBBS I currently have.

Thanks.....

StukeSowle

by StukeSowle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Just picked up the Lightning Ascents for my wife and I'm impressed so far. Lightweight, impressive traction. Those heel stands are a life saver! We got ours for a pretty good price on Amazon as well.

Kai

by Kai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:30 pm

I am a big fan of the Yowie snow shoes.

http://www.yowies.com.au/

Not great for bottomless powder, but adequate for most other conditions. Good mobility and traction, light weight, and compact. If conditions are too light and deep for my Yowies, I typically go with skis.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 am

There are plenty of 25" models that are light but can hold your weight. I'm 210 stripped down.....when hauling a pack for a remote wall with climbing rack etc.....I'm pushing 260. There's light sugary powder that could bog you down, but anything remotely consolidated should be good. I lived on the east coast.....heavy wet snow is the norm, so you should have no problems.

Return to Gear