Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Three Fingered Jack

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Three Fingered Jack

Postby kylenicolls » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I've been down low for a bit too long. Well it's been 2 months or so. Anyhow not looking for something technical, just a hike and mild climb relatively close by.

Much info on TFJ this time of year? I found a good Cascade CLimbers TR for May. I dont intend to summit, just stretch the legs and go up til I deem special unsafe to go further without protection. I'm limited on real climb gear and partners, they happened to move out of the area.

Anyone been out that way? I am just looking to see if route finding can be an issue this time when there may be full snow-cover. Makes it less tedious if you can see, rather than regularly hitting up the map and compass. I was thinking about getting some cheap cross country skis just because. Seems like this may be a nice region for that.

Any info or pointers is appreciated!
kylenicolls

Re: Three Fingered Jack

Postby Diggler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:19 am

It's been raining in Bend consistently recently, which I'm guessing equates to plenty of snow @ higher elevations (I'm guessing so- heard that Bachelor has the 2nd highest amount of snow of a resort in the US right now). This means that avalanche conditions might also definitely be a concern. It also means you'll likely want skis to get anywhere. Unsure of access- haven't been up in that area outside of summer (yet). I might be interested in going up there to check it out. Gimme a shout if you decide to go. After New Year's, I'll be fairly free (don't have a great deal of time commitments). Let me know if you're interested, & if it doesn't work out, good luck!
Diggler

Re: Three Fingered Jack

Postby kylenicolls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:07 am

So I am guessing you're in Bend?

Driving shouldn't be a problem as is is right off the highway near HooDoo's turnout. Suppose to be about a 9-10 mile round trip to the top, which I dont plan on, certainly not alone. I'd be staying out of apparent avalanche regions. Should be ~relatively~ easy since it is a mild ridge line that the PCT follows until you break off it.

Have snowshoes, no skis. I want to pick up some cheap cross-country skis this winter. Dont know jack about the binding and boot types. Regrettably, I am moving out of the Pacific NW once I get a job in my major. No much point in forking over a lot of money on 'good' gear. It'll probably be a few months, though. Pretty unlikely I will be around here.

So yes, I will remember your offer. You have lead climbing on 5.X? In the event you want to summit. Closest I've done is the Thielsen pinnacle and took a ice climbing class, but it didn't focus on lead climbing.

Here is HooDoo as of today, so there is definitely snow.
kylenicolls

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)