Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Quality Slipping?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Quality Slipping?

Postby Bubba Suess » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm

In the past, when bad pages were submitted on Summitpost, it seemed that people (myself included) pounced on them and they were either improved as a reaction or deleted. This was an obvious good, since the user screening kept the standards for submissions higher at the front end and prevented a bunch of crud from cluttering up Summitpost. It seems to be that things have gone lax and nowadays pages make it through that never would have in the past.

A few examples:

Bennett Mountain

Mount Carmine

Mount Harriman

The first page is worthless. The second and third pages at least attempt to have some content and images but there is a general paucity of both. Of the content for these two, the bulk is a quote from another site, an offense that would have produced a strong reaction in the past. I am sure there are other pages like these, but these are the ones I remembered off the top of my head (it does not hurt that two are near me and the third is in my hometown). I think the Bennett Mountain page should get dinged right away while the author of the other two should be encouraged to invest a little more into his pages.

This is not intended to be a "Summitpost is doomed" post. Rather, I want to encourage people to maintain the site's standards and vote down on garbage or leave comments exhorting improvement.
Bubba Suess

Re: Quality Slipping?

Postby lcarreau » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:39 am

Hint to the Elf Masters ..

I don't think the "quality" is slipping with members like this ..

http://www.summitpost.org/users/dolly2008/102755
lcarreau

Postby Bubba Suess » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:45 am

lcarreau wrote:Hint to the Elf Masters ..

Does anyone else think this is creepy?
Bubba Suess

The following user would like to thank Bubba Suess for this post
Alex Wood, Buz Groshong, H2SO4, MoapaPk

Postby Baarb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 am

Supposedly 'incomplete' pages were to be deleted by the powers that be within a couple of days of being first put up up to avoid this issue. Or so I thought.

Regardless, I think helpful comments rather than a barrage of 1 votes is more likely to engender more positive contributions in future. Certainly the FAQs section is too hard to find and the general expectations tricky to gauge if one is a new member. Further, usually at this stage in SPs life if a Mountain page doesn't exist already then it's likely that the only person that cares too much about the mountain is the person that makes the page so it's also understandable a little if the info is a bit scant initially. It can be the case one just wants to put something up to contribute a little of something they know. They don't necessarily expect a lot of attention.
Baarb

The following user would like to thank Baarb for this post
lcarreau

Postby lcarreau » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:05 pm

Baarb wrote:Supposedly 'incomplete' pages were to be deleted by the powers that be within a couple of days ...

Very possible that the "powers that be" are on their HO HO HO Christmas vacation right now ... they'll get around to it after the Holidays ... 8)

lcarreau

Postby Fred Spicker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:
lcarreau wrote:Hint to the Elf Masters ..

Does anyone else think this is creepy?

Yes, it appears that Icarreau has trouble dealing with women on this site - he occasionally posts very inappropriate comments with obvious immature sexual overtones. (I won't even get into how sick I am of the stupid little pictures that he has to post to nearly every forum.)

The follow up by Josh Lewis is particularly out of line, especially for someone who used to post on nearly every northwest climbing site on the Web searching for someone to climb with and was even banned from SP for a considerable period of time for lying about his background to get partners.

If you look at this woman's post it clearly states that she is a beginner trying to get into the sport, that she is taking a class and has a husband who will be joining her - she is not here trolling for dates and should not be subjected to ridicule.

In fact, here it is:

I am looking for climbing partners to climb local peaks such as Adams, Rainier, Cascades with me in early 2013 through September. I want to build a climbing resume and need some buddies. I am entry level. I am taking a beginning mountaineering course in May. My husband is entry level as well and will be climbing with me. So if there any of you beginners out there or just some climbers needing an extra climber, Please let me know.
Fred Spicker

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
H2SO4, KathyW

Postby chugach mtn boy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:02 am

Fred Spicker wrote: ... it appears that Icarreau has trouble dealing with women on this site ...

C'mon, Fred, he thought she was a spammer. I certainly would have.

Poor Larry has had a bit of trouble with being misunderstood lately.
chugach mtn boy

The following user would like to thank chugach mtn boy for this post
lcarreau

Next

Return to Site Feedback