Quality Slipping?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bubba Suess

Re: Quality Slipping?

by Bubba Suess » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 am

Bob Sihler wrote:Hoo boy...

Bob, you are admirably circumspect as usual. I nominate you to be UN ambassador, or maybe ambassador to China or Israel or someplace that requires a lot of diplomatic kid gloves work.

I am glad to see the first page I listed already improved. All I wanted to do was get people back into the habit of spotting bad pages and doing something about them. Hopefully that has been accomplished.

chugach mtn boy wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote: ... it appears that Icarreau has trouble dealing with women on this site ...

C'mon, Fred, he thought she was a spammer. I certainly would have.

Don't take it out on Fred. I made the initial point about Larry's post and Fred was echoing me. I maintain my assessment of the questionable nature of the post. It is in keeping with posts like the ones found in this thread, especially the last one. It was a sad end to what I found to be an otherwise enjoyable discussion. I agree with Fred's point on the constant image dumping in whatever thread. For me at least, it grew wearisome long ago. It is also quite puerile and contributes little to Summitpost.

chugach mtn boy wrote:Poor Larry has had a bit of trouble with being misunderstood lately.

I confess to perhaps misunderstanding.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 am

chugach mtn boy wrote:
Fred Spicker wrote: ... it appears that Icarreau has trouble dealing with women on this site ...

Poor Larry has had a bit of trouble with being misunderstood lately.

Hoooo BOY ... I apologize for mistaking this "new member" as being a spammer. Guess the "smallish picture" must have thrown me off ...

If you're ALL on a mission to "clean up" this site, guess I can self-edit my posts on the forum pages ... always was a proponent for Free Speech ...

like Josh said, I was just trying to add some humor and didn't mean to offend anybody ... guess I'll get back to my mountains ... have a great day :!:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 am

Baarb wrote:Supposedly 'incomplete' pages were to be deleted by the powers that be within a couple of days of being first put up up to avoid this issue. Or so I thought.

Regardless, I think helpful comments rather than a barrage of 1 votes is more likely to engender more positive contributions in future. Certainly the FAQs section is too hard to find and the general expectations tricky to gauge if one is a new member. Further, usually at this stage in SPs life if a Mountain page doesn't exist already then it's likely that the only person that cares too much about the mountain is the person that makes the page so it's also understandable a little if the info is a bit scant initially. It can be the case one just wants to put something up to contribute a little of something they know. They don't necessarily expect a lot of attention.

Just wondering ... WHY was this post overlooked ? ... the FAQs section is actually very EASY to find, and people don't have to be "ATTACKED" in the process ..

If an existing page is of poor quality, and is a page that is required to be unique (e.g., a mountain page) then there are several steps you should take (in this order):

Check the owner's profile page to see when he/she was last active.

If it's been more than six months, ask the owner of the page via email if you could be allowed edit privileges or outright ownership. Most non-active members are HAPPY to relinquish pages.

If you get no response after two weeks, send a PM to the elves (from your profile page) and they will likely grant you ownership of the page. Don't tell the elves about it unless you have a new owner lined up, or the following exception:

Pages that are almost totally devoid of useful information should be deleted. Feel free to send a PM to the ELVES in this case.

Such communications are best handled privately, via SP's Personal Message Feature (PM), SP's email access on your Profile Page, or your own email system. Obviously PMs shouldn't be used for suspected inactive members - they won't be getting PMs if they don't log on to SP - use email instead :!:

chugach mtn boy wrote:

Thanks for trying to stick up for me. It's my fault and I take responsibility for it.

AND .... I am NOT POOR. I just seem to be completely misunderstood by a select group of people. I'll also be paying mucho more taxes in 2013,
so you might want to check back with me to find out how poor I am at a LATER date .... :D
Last edited by lcarreau on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:04 am

I like lcarreau's posts. Even the bear at the picnic table. They keep things cool, are often humorous, and they don't attack or offend anyone (who's panties aren't already in a bunch).

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
chugach mtn boy, Fletch

Baarb

by Baarb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:05 am

lcarreau wrote:the FAQs section is actually very EASY to find ...

In retrospect I guess this is true if you go via the http://www.summitpost.org/new-to-sp section as it is pointed out in the Intermediate bit and given some clarity. Therein the "SummitPost Resource Central" and "What is a complete page?" are probably most relevant for the first time page maker. That 'New to Summit Post' box on the homepage does seem to get missed however (as some do judging by some of the rudimentary forum posts and pages that crop up from time to time), either because it's at the side of the page and looks more like a generic 'About Us' section or because there's a huge amount of info to wade through after following the link/s if you're impatient and are merely excited about putting something on a website for the first time.

The only other FAQ link I know of is pretty small and at the bottom of most pages which is easy to miss if you don't know it's there and doesn't really indicate just how much is in there. For example, I think if the link was called 'Help/Resource Central' etc. and put more prominently at the top of the page where such things usually go it might get seen a lot more and have more traffic. This could lead to better contributions from new and older members alike.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:37 am

It took me only 10 seconds to find the FAQ'S link, but I'm obviously not a new member. I think new members should be MORE VOCAL on this site, and tell us what they want .... I mean, in this TAKE, TAKE, TAKE Society, how can we provide for these new and upcoming members if they don't tell us what they want ???

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:43 am

I know what they want. One if them tried to give me dental implants, another wanted to sell me term papers, and another to give financial planning advice.

These new members are givers!

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:51 am

The biggest issue in this thread was the fact that I threw in the word "even" in my statement near the beginning of the thread. Fred thought I was agreeing that she was not a legitimate user. I was actually trying to defend the fact that she was. I admit I need to work on my English with proper syntax. :wink: So looks like the conflict is almost non existent and was created from a mis-understanding.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:41 am

Josh Lewis wrote:So looks like the conflict is almost non existent

Then please start a new thread and let's try this again.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 am

lcarreau wrote:AND .... I am NOT POOR.

There, there, of course not ...

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 pm

lcarreau wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:

Hoooo BOY ... I apologize for mistaking this "new member" as being a spammer. Guess the "smallish picture" must have thrown me off ...

If you're ALL on a mission to "clean up" this site, guess I can self-edit my posts on the forum pages ... always was a proponent for Free Speech ...

like Josh said, I was just trying to add some humor and didn't mean to offend anybody ... guess I'll get back to my mountains ... have a great day :!:

When a post here could be considered sexual harrassment or slander, the "free speech" argument goes out the window.

Oh, and I like the bear also.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:Of course, if this person would stop putting up crap pages, then the quality would stop slipping, almost immediately. 8)

That does it; I'm calling my lawyer!

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
Kiefer

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:That does it; I'm calling my lawyer!

Now that is a flashback from the good old days. I hope Summitpost has more days like that to come. Honestly, I was expecting for my profile to pop up when I hit the link.

EastKing

by EastKing » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 pm

How many people have PM'ed the owner of the next two pages to tell him to upgrade his page with more and better photos? Maybe give a couple editing maneuver or even provide him more pictures. I probably will be doing this soon myself.

As for Josh Lewis, I think the past is the past. I have been on more than 30 mountains myself and have seen a dramatic improvement in him. Right now he has been leading a number of rock climbs and has a very good shot of breaking Andy Dewey's record for being the youngest climber ever to do all the Bulgers in Washington. He has matured from 5 years ago and now is an extremely beneficial member to this site.

The following user would like to thank EastKing for this post
Josh Lewis, Kiefer, lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback