Just introducing myself.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
climb4hashtags

Just introducing myself.

by climb4hashtags » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi everyone.

How are you all? I hope everyone is enjoying the season; regardless of what the season means to you.

I have been reading the forums here, looking around the website, and frankly am stunned at what an incredible site this is; from the forum, to the ability to write a climbers log on routes and mountains you have attempted - just utterly fantastic, what an incredible website, and an invaluable information source.

So I finally signed up and wanted to introduce myself, and let everyone know who I am, and what I'm up to.

I have hiked all my life, and although I have summited many mountains they have only been mountains with hiking or scrambling trail to the summit, like the miners path leading to the summit of Snowdon for example; regrettably I have never had the time to pursue alpinism more than that. However, now I have hit 30, am in a good finical position for the first time, I have decided this is something I would really like to pursue. I have also been an avid environmentalist, activist, and always been incredibly ambitious. I decided to put my late blooming mountaineering ambitions together with my desire to spread environmental awareness. I started climbing 4 hashtags which is simply the desire to attempt to summit mountains, while bringing awareness to a particular hashtag campaign. Some will think I am crazy, some will think stupid, others will think maybe I'm overly ambitious, and some will think I have no idea what I'm getting into. I have even been told I must have little to no respect for the mountains & "real" mountaineers - this I can assure is completely false, the respect I have for the mountains and the mountaineering community is unmeasurable. The campaign will start with some small climbs here in Canada, many mountaineering courses, a climb on Mt. Blanc, Kilimanjaro, and finally with an Everest attempt ( a mountain I have dreamt of attempt for a long, long time, like i am sure many on here have)

My climbing schedule in order is as follows:

Mt. Olive (3110m)
Mt. St. Nicholas (2900m)
Mt. Gordon (3200m)
Mt. Thompson (3050m)
Mt. Balfour (3230m)
Mt. Rhondda (3110m)
Mt. Hector (3394m)
Mt. Cline (3361m)
Mt. Victoria (3464m)
Mt. Temple (3554m)
Mt. Robson (3954m)
Mt. Aconcagua (6960m)
Mt. Blanc (4810m)
Mt Rainier (4392m)
Mt McKinley (6144m)
Mt.Kilimanjaro (5,895m)
Mt. Lobuche East (6119m)
Mt. Pokalde (5806m)
Mt. Island Peak (6145m)
Mt. Lhotse (8516m)
Mt. Everest (8848)

- Climbs 1 -6 are part of a mountaineering training school.
- Mt. Rainier climb starts as training, which culminates into a summit attempt.
- Lobuche East - Pokalde - Island peak is part of an Everest training climb for people who want to learn high altitude climbing (info here: http://www.peakfreaks.com/everest_mount ... NjotqVtUzI)

I am curious if anyone would add any particular training climbs in this list or any other training school climbs.

So that is a little about me, I'm a late blooming mountaineer with drive, ambition, and motivation. I really look forward to being able to talk to people on here, gaining valuable advice, and maybe even meet some friends.

Have some great time off everyone, and I really do look forward to getting to know you all.

Richard

Matt Lemke

Re: Just introducing myself.

by Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:38 am

Is that list of climbs all for next year? Some of those climbs can take at least month to do depending on conditions.

Many of those you listed are on my life goal including Robson, Denali, and Blanc. I'd consider adding Waddington (currently my number one climbing goal) to the list.

climb4hashtags

by climb4hashtags » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 am

Hi Matt,

Its very nice to meet you, I have actually been contemplating wadding to the list, as i have read its a wonderful climb.

I am sorry, I should have added the time length. Although ambitious, I have put a time frame on this climbing campaign. I would like to have all these complete by 50, which gives me a good 18 years. Altough the idea of attempting everest at 50 is somewhat nerve-racking.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:59 am

OK...that makes more sense. Doing all those climbs in that time frame is very doable and I wish you the best of luck!

Happy Holidays :)

radson

by radson » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 am

I would take out Pokalde, IP and Lobuche if you have done Mckinley and Robson. Instead I would get some 8k experience on Cho Oyu or Shish.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:21 am

Richard from Canada.... hey do you know anita?

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Anita rocks ! ... :D
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Best of wishes to you Richard. That's a nice list there. Once you get more into the sport, don't be afraid to change your list by dropping or adding some mountains. Always keep an open mind!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

climb4hashtags

by climb4hashtags » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank you Matt! I hope to see you around on the forum and website!

Radson, hi there, and thanks for stopping by ☺ I will most defiantly look into this option! Even if I never make an Everest attempt, my own personal goal, is to summit an 8000m. Thanks! It’s really nice to meet you!

Mrchad9 - I am from Canada eh!, but am new here, so I do not know anyone yet unfortunately. It’s nice to meet you!

Icarreau – Nice to meet you! If I bump into her, I will tell her you say hi ☺

Hotoven – thank you for your kind words. It is nice to meet you, and I promise I will do just this! I think in this world not keeping an open mind is a dangerous thing!

I have always been nervous about joining forum due to a lot of I have dwelling on being full of very negative and angry people, but everyone here seems so nice!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 pm

climb4hashtags wrote:

I have always been nervous about joining forum due to a lot of I have dwelling on being full of very negative and angry people, but everyone here seems so nice!

Aaaa ..... don't know if I should tell you this, BUT ..... ALL hell breaks loose after Christmas ! ..... :D

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Noondueler

by Noondueler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:18 am

radson wrote:I would take out Pokalde, IP and Lobuche if you have done Mckinley and Robson. Instead I would get some 8k experience on Cho Oyu or Shish.
Shish? Is that a mountain?

atavist

by atavist » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:45 am

Shishapangma.

If you attempt all those ascents afore Everest, I propose you'd be one of the most properly prepped peeps on the peak.

climb4hashtags

by climb4hashtags » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm

lcarreau - Reminds me of going back to work haha :)

atavist - Hi its nice to meet you :) Thank you, thats all I really want, to be prepared for Everest.

Catamount - Hi there, its nice to meet you also :) I do agree to some extent. I simply want to add the "climbing for a cause" simply because if I can be involved in such an ambitious climbing adventure, and a life changing one, while at the same time maybe spread a message of awareness to certain issues, I think its a good thing :)

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 am

Aconcagua before Rainier? I assume those aren't in chronological order? Aconcagua is a beast.

Next

Return to General