Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Mount Washington Winter Attempt?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Re: Mount Washington Winter Attempt?

Postby Biscut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 pm

Keep at the training brotha! IMHO white out on the Alipne Garden and above is time to turn around and head back. I'm in a unique spot...I leave my house in NY around 330AM and drive 5-6hrs to the mountain. Climb/hike for however long, hit Woodstock Brewery and head home. From the early hours headed there I've learned NOT to expect the current weather conditions to last. Often times I'm a little down when I get there and its freezing rain or socked in with fog. Many a time trudge thru it and the reward of a nice summit is to be found!

So don't be afraid to pick a day and give it a good try even if the weatehrs seems crummy. And if you can't summit it's still rewaridng to make it to lunch rocks in Tucks and just absorb the ravine for a bit.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Biscut

Postby bird » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Check out www.mtnathlete.com for insight on training.
And my favorite article on training... http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/eve ... e-20120504
Lion's head in winter is fun, and if the weather is decent, should be no problem. Leave early, rest, drink, eat and move at a steady pace and you should be fine. Plenty of other good advice on this and other boards.
bird

Postby atomiccows1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 pm

We had a great summit! Beautiful weather, temps hovering in the negative single digits, winds around 25 to 30 mph, and clear sunny skies. Everything I could have hoped for and more.
Thank you everyone for your input.
atomiccows1

Postby 96avs01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

^^^Congrats, glad you had a good trip!
96avs01

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)