Snow on San Gorgonio

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
atavist

Snow on San Gorgonio

by atavist » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Any body know how much snow is currently on Gorgonio and surrounding hills? Good enough for a BC ski trip?

no avatar
KathyW

Re: Snow on San Gorgonio

by KathyW » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:19 pm

I went from the South Fork Trailhead to Dry Lake last Friday. The trail was pretty much snow covered, but it was very thin in places and starting to melt out in the areas with good sun exposure. The bushes (manzanita and chinquapin) were not completely covered with snow; so in the bushy areas the trail was the way to go. I don't ski, but I did have snowshoes with me. I did not need them until after the Dry Lake/Dollar Lake junction when I went up the drainage gully to Dry Lake. The South Fork Meadows south of the Dry Lake/Dollar Lake did not have good snow coverage and the bushes were still very visible; so going that way up to Christmas Tree Hill or Charlton wasn't an option, but there was probably enough snow to go up in the trees to the Dollar Lake area and maybe higher. There wasn't a lot of snow up high on the north slope of San Gorgonio. Anyway, a few more inches fell this week up there, but it's probably still not primo conditions for skiing. At the same time, you could probably do a little wandering around in the areas that do have enough coverage. It's been cold so it's not melting off that fast.

Take a look at this webcam:

http://www.bensweather.com/webcams/cam_2.jpg

My pics from last Friday: http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... &k=3G3622N

atavist

by atavist » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:18 am

Thanks y'all

simonov

by simonov » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Plenty of snow for ski touring along the Poopout Hill road this last weekend:

Nunc est bibendum.

no avatar
edg

by edg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Has anyone been up San Gorgonio recently or have any info about conditions on the mountain? Thanks.

fedak

by fedak » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm

My guess is yes. About 1.5 feet fell at 6000' and more up higher. Snow is down to under 3,000' - even ran in some snow this morning in the Crafton HIlls. Maybe not all the Chinquapin and Manzanita is covered in some areas, but I'll bet it's probably still pretty nice out there. I'm looking forward to checking it out next weekend when the roads are clear and the weather is warmer (I'm too old to go out in the cold anymore).

calicokat

by calicokat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 am

Plenty of snow (4-6') above 9000' on the north side. Tonight's storm will fill out the rest of the wilderness down to the trailhead

Return to California