Alpine Touring setup

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
triyoda

Alpine Touring setup

by triyoda » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 am

Recently moved to Oregon. Considering on getting an AT setup for PNW type terrain.

I currently have Karhu 10th mountain (now Madshus Epoch) skis with Voile 3 pin cable bindings and Alpina leather BC boots. Use these for light BC touring, probably stuff you could do on lighter gear, but I like the metal edge and the stability.
I am an intermediate skier on resort terrain (blues are fine, I can ski black diamonds with difficulty).

Basically, I would be doing easier tours. Stuff I would foresee would be Mt. Hood (southside), Shasta (Avalanche Gulch), Lassen, skiing at this level of difficulty. Don't mind approaches, so I would like something that tours well. Also would like a boot that is not terrible to walk in/crampon. For example, ski in a couple of miles at Shasta, ascend Cassaval ridge (in ski boots), descend the steep part (red rocks) in boots and then ski out of Avalanche gulch.

Any ideas on skis, boots, and bindings. What about something like the Madshus Annum skis, with Dynafit bindings. No idea on boots. I have narrow feet, use La Sportiva mountaineering boots. Is this enough ski to really do some turns with some serious boots. I like the idea of a ski with a fishscale, so you can do actual approaches and would only need skins for steeper stuff.

Also, I live in Corvallis. Any idea where I could go to buy this stuff within reasonable driving distance (Bend, Portland?).

Money is not really an issue, I figure it is going to be $1000 to get setup? I don't think I really have an rental options locally, so seems like I have to buy.

Dane1

Re: Alpine Touring setup

by Dane1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 am

Dynafit TLT mtn boot, Dynafit bindings and the lightest ski/mo ski you can afford in a 160 or so and macthing skis. Best money for the mtns you'll ever spend. My ski and bindings weight 5# 12oz total. Boots are 2# 12oz per boot in a size 45/29. Expensive but not like you are likely to wear them out any time soon. Wait and buy on line when they start dumping gear at the end of the season. These guys can be good as well.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all ... touring/f/

no avatar
luzak00

by luzak00 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 am

I really dig my BD Aspect Skis. Hard to go wrong with anything Dynafit, though.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:41 pm

My 176cm Aspects are 8# even with tuned Dynafit Speeds on them. Nice skis and good everywhere. My Broad Peak Dynafit skis listed above @ 5# 12oz with bindings are 167cm. Different tools for sure.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Anyone has anything to say about Mustagh Ata Superlight skis? Seem like a nice light weight ski. Thinking of upgrading and selling my black diamond kilowatt/fritschi bindings since my boots would fit better with a lighter set up (I have Dynafit TLT 5s).

Dane1

by Dane1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 am

NIce lines in Bozeman Vitaliy!

Best way to pick Dynafits (besides price) is decide on what you want to do. If it is ski the Manaslu or the wider rockered skis are good. If it is for approaches and some skiing when required (alps?) go lwt and short. MASuperlite is an inbetween ski for serious longer distance touring (think Haute Route) to be bought in the appropriate sizes (170+) is my perception.

Even the tiny skis (160+s)will ski much better than you might think. Most guys that buy the lwts (even the race versions) end up using them all the time and every where. Spend the money and get one of the stripped Dynafit bindings as well to go with the TLTS. It will open up a new world outdoors for you.

The following user would like to thank Dane1 for this post
Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 am

Dane1 wrote:NIce lines in Bozeman Vitaliy!

Best way to pick Dynafits (besides price) is decide on what you want to do. If it is ski the Manaslu or the wider rockered skis are good. If it is for approaches and some skiing when required (alps?) go lwt and short. MASuperlite is an inbetween ski for serious longer distance touring (think Haute Route) to be bought in the appropriate sizes (170+) is my perception.

Even the tiny skis (160+s)will ski much better than you might think. Most guys that buy the lwts (even the race versions) end up using them all the time and every where. Spend the money and get one of the stripped Dynafit bindings as well to go with the TLTS. It will open up a new world outdoors for you.

Already want to go back! To Hyalite, or even Canada. Such cool climbs there...To my surprise my boots climbed fine. Were not too warm when temps were in the teens, but they were not made for that.

My desire is to have a light alpine set up which I can take on longer tours, and ski down hill ok (nothing too steep, slopes to 35-40 degrees at most). Dynafit speed bindings with some oh skis. Toughest thing is to find the right skis...

triyoda

by triyoda » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 am

Dane1 wrote:NIce lines in Bozeman Vitaliy!

lwt?

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm

I think it means 'light-weight'....I think.. :)

simonov

by simonov » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am

Are AT boots dedicated? No chance of using mountaineering boots in an AT set-up? I have a pair of Scarpa Invernos. They sure keep my feet warm.

GF and I are frustrated because there's nowhere around here to rent this stuff. All we're going to be able to do is research everything on-line, then drop $1,500 each and hope for the best.
Nunc est bibendum.

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 am

simonov wrote:Are AT boots dedicated? No chance of using mountaineering boots in an AT set-up? I have a pair of Scarpa Invernos. They sure keep my feet warm.

GF and I are frustrated because there's nowhere around here to rent this stuff. All we're going to be able to do is research everything on-line, then drop $1,500 each and hope for the best.

Listen, man, I think you do need to take a trip up to Bishop/Mammoth, for a nice three day weekend, or so, and learn about and rent some of the gear
of which you speak. You will jump ahead on the learning curve in a huge leap. Plus, you'll be able to test some different gear, boots, etc. Seems to me a
better way to go than rolling the dice by ordering online w/out trying out the gear. Boots are especially important to try on, liners might need to be heat-molded
after buying, etc.
Anyway, for what it's worth. . . I think if you're having trouble finding a place to rent, etc, than go to where the goods are, learn, and try it out.
Best o' luck whatever you do.

Return to Gear